What's new

Dirty Softner Salt?

Red Baron

Reaction score
I've used about 30 bags of a different brand of salt that my dist is selling now. The solt pillows are a dirtier color than the old salt, have a bad smell, and are leaving a brown filmy residue floting on the water in the brine tank. I can't see anywhere on the bags where the purity rating is listed. I guess I know the answer to my question, but should I stop using this salt?

MEP001

Reaction score
I would stop using it. It's probably Solar pellets - it's just dried lake salt and it's nasty. Morton has several additives that keep the resin clean, and you'll never have to remove and rinse out your brine tank. The garbage in the cheap stuff can clog the injector screen and cause it not to function.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my home softener. After finding wood and other debris I only buy regular Morten's now.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I would stop using it. It's probably Solar pellets - it's just dried lake salt and it's nasty. Morton has several additives that keep the resin clean, and you'll never have to remove and rinse out your brine tank. The garbage in the cheap stuff can clog the injector screen and cause it not to function.
Mep001,

So in other words pellets are better than the Solar? We get Solar salt that might be better basing on the fact that on the bag it says "up to 99.6%" pure". The brand is "Diamond" & it is the crushed uneven looking stuff that is usually referred to as "Solar Salt"

We used to use pellets but when we got our new softeners back in 1987 they recommended "Ecowater Solar Salt" The Diamond brand has about the same amount of impurities judging by the appearance in the brine tanks. We do clean the brine tanks about once every 2 years or so.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
"Crushed" salt is more likely to bridge than pellets.

MEP001

Reaction score
Solar is a brand - they make both rock salt (Crystallized into that form, not crushed) and pellets. Their rock salt is nasty and stinks. Their pellets claim to be pure, but they aren't even white.

jjw

Reaction score
Been using salt blocks for fifteen years with no problems. The fifty pound block is 99.9% pure in the sticker. Cost from 3.50 to 3. 80 each. Clean out tank every other year, not much residue. Run resin cleaner once a year. Works for me. jjw

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
JJW,

Do you mean agricultural salt blocks? Do you crush them up or stack them in the brine tank? Ive never heard of that option, but it certainly is interesting. I go through about a pallet of salt (49 bags) per month to month and a half.

ScottV

John Racine

Chemical & Equipment Dist
Reaction score
Try Dura Cube or Hardi Cube. Have had tanks in place for 7 years take them out and clean at the bottom.

MEP001

Reaction score
With Morton pellets you don't ever need to clean the tanks or run resin cleaner.

jjw

Reaction score
Scottv; Yes, just plan ole cow licken salt blocks, stackum in the tank. As far as cleaning the tank, probably could just forget it and the resin cleaner also. It is just something I do to buy a little prevention insurance. Very little if anything in the brine tank. Have a great week! jjw

E.Joramo

Reaction score
what brand of Resin Cleaner do you use? we have a resin tank that has a reduced capacity and requires an early regeneration. Fortunately we have a dual tank system.
Erik Joramo
Been using salt blocks for fifteen years with no problems. The fifty pound block is 99.9% pure in the sticker. Cost from 3.50 to 3. 80 each. Clean out tank every other year, not much residue. Run resin cleaner once a year. Works for me. jjw