What's new

Dilling & Harris SS stand questions

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just installed some new meter doors made by Etowah Valley on a 2000 Vintage D&H pump stand that formally had Millineum push button doors . My tire cleaner was not foaming. I got to poking around and it looks like the TC air is tied into the timed output so that any time the timer is running the air is on. I just wanted to confirm this is standard and ask if there is an advantage to this as opposed to just running an air solenoid for each function. I guess used this way only one solenoid is needed to provide air to presoak and even wax, provided I run all at roughly the same pressure.

Also, do most try to foam up their low pressure wax or run it at a higher liquid only pressure? The previous owner had a flojet and I wasn't happy with flow output through the gun at the lower pressure.

Thanks for any input

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never seen a system set up like that. Seems like it would work as long as the spot free rinse pressure is high enough that it will stop the flow of air. I used to build equipment that used a common air solenoid for tire cleaner and presoak - it worked well but it was really difficult to get it adjusted where both products came out right. If you have an unused wire from the bay you could connect the air solenoid to the second stack on the switch, but I'd probably add air solenoids for each function.

I've used a Flojet for low pressure wax and IMO it's plenty of pressure, but I would run it at 90 PSI. This is where individual adjustments will be needed, because you only want the tiniest bit of air, then you can get really good, fast coverage on the car.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Miles. The original owner pulled out all the air pumps and installed procons. I have one set at 90 but still not getting what I consider a decent flow in the bay., This wash has been closed for a while (5 years) so I'm going to pull and check the solenoids for buildup.

MEP001

Reaction score
Maybe check the solenoid orifice too, some of them used 3/32 for everything which might restrict flow. I always run 3/8" OD tubing for higher flow functions.

If they're block style solenoids, they might have adjustments on the side that you haven't noticed.

Last edited:

getnbusy

Reaction score
The TC air should not be on all the time. It may be the same air for multiple functions but it should not be on all the time. I foam my low pressure wax. Its on a flojet. Hope this helps.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The TC air should not be on all the time. It may be the same air for multiple functions but it should not be on all the time. I foam my low pressure wax. Its on a flojet. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. This setup was configured on the factory side of the terminal strip so maybe the installer did it. I can see the idea behind it- one air solenoid for all low pressure functions and then adjust chemical as needed with needle valves. Constant air could possibly help changeover times by purging the liquid out of a hose while the customer is using the foam brush. But right now it looks like it lacks the ability to fine tune each product. I'll dig deeper when I get back on the pumpstand.

MEP001

Reaction score
Constant air could possibly help changeover times by purging the liquid out of a hose while the customer is using the foam brush.
It does - I had used a programmable relay at a wash with a D.A.N. system to cancel the card transaction when "STOP" was selected, and I used an extra output to purge the bay hose with air. It would only take 4 seconds for tire cleaner to reach the wand when selected.