What's new

Dilling Harris Motor Starter Issue

Etowah

waterway

Reaction score
I have a older dilling harris self-serve system from like 89'. My circuit breaker for one bay continued to to trip almost daily. So after some problem solving I determined it was my motor starter. I went to Grainger and bought a replacement and now every time I go to a high pressure function at my bay my timer resets continually (breaker stay's on fine). I am at a loss as to what is causing this after 3 hours of trouble shooting. So I figure I would post it on here. I am thinking it has something to do with the 24 volts on the motor starter that I hooked up wrong because when I press the motor starter manually it runs fine. Thanks in advance for the help.

sparkey

Reaction score
Its not a case of your meter box is 24 volts AC and the contactor is 24 volts DC is it?

MEP001

Reaction score
You've got something hooked up wrong with the control voltage, or the coil of the new contactor is the wrong voltage as sparkey said.

Just out of curiosity, how did you determine the motor starter was the cause of your breaker tripping?

waterway

Reaction score
I figured it was the motor starter because in my past with these systems whenever the breaker keeps tripping its always been either the breaker or the motor starter. I'm thinking you might be right about the ampridge. I'm going to check it now.

Reaction score
I figured it was the motor starter because in my past with these systems whenever the breaker keeps tripping its always been either the breaker or the motor starter. I'm thinking you might be right about the ampridge. I'm going to check it now.
Did it only trip when you used a hp function and if so what function, the starter may be fine but a sol may be the problem

Kevin James

Reaction score
Did you replace the motor starter with the same motor starter, part number etc.? Or did you buy another brand, model?

MEP001

Reaction score
waterway said:
I'm thinking you might be right about the ampridge.
We're referring to the coil VOLTAGE. It will be marked on the top of the contactor and should read "24V 60Hz".

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
My guess is that the coil voltage of the new contactor does not match the voltage of the old one - Like MEP suggested