What's new

Determining Financial Viability Of A Car Wash Build

ToastedNotBurnt

Reaction score
Hi,

New member here, I've been reading as much as I can in research for a new business opportunity. I have an opportunity to acquire a corner plot on a traffic light w/ 25-30 MPH traffic. AADT is ~15,000 and the area is a college town so business is dead in the summer. Ingress/Egress is great. Nearest competition is ~2.5mi away.

We're in the Northeast/NE area. Plot size is half an acre (small), so I'm unsure what type of car wash should be built. A compact tunnel? IBA (Need multiple?). MEP001 has mentioned building 1-2x IBAs from the ground up is a recipe for failure. Is there an alternative w/ this plot size? Self-Serve seem to produce too little gross income to be worth it w/ a build but that may be ignorance talking.

Costs boils down to 150k land, 200k for Razor Edge IBA, 300k for construction and some other stuff getting us to ~$850k. Could easily be more and I have no idea how much a tunnel or anything besides an IBA would cost. We have a strong connection w/ local authorities due to pre-existing business/connections so those aren't as big concerns (zoning laws etc.).

My main concern is about expected revenue. W/ an AADT of 15,000, 0.3% Capture rate, 305 Days open, 50% Profit Margin and $7 avg ticket, we're looking at about $46k net/yr. $850k cost puts this investment at a Cap Rate of 5.4% which is terrible for something that is not passive (Not a delusional new comer, I understand how hands on this business is, especially when first starting). Are my variables off?

Capital isn't really an issue, we can do $2m+ even w/ banks requiring high down payment, the issue is really the plot size. We know the standard recommendation is to retro-fit an old car wash for +EV, which is very reasonable. However, current goal is not to shoehorn ourselves into buying a car wash but rather determining optimal usage of this location.

So, main questions:

1. W/ such a small plot, is IBA the way?

2. Are revenue projections about accurate? I see higher capture rate quoted quite often but Waxman quotes 0.3% as what he used but the data I looked at did suggest it heavily varies and the plot is good and our online advertising/curb appeal etc. will be good as well.

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are but $850K all in seems low to me and I would be very surprised if it was under a mil. The average ticket should be higher as well and might be more like $10. Using .3% capture rate seems a tad low to me as well and I would probably use .5%.

ToastedNotBurnt

Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are but $850K all in seems low to me and I would be very surprised if it was under a mil. The average ticket should be higher as well and might be more like $10. Using .3% capture rate seems a tad low to me as well and I would probably use .5%.
Yeah, I used some pro formas/estimates I found online for construction but I think they were mostly from equipment vendors who are going to bias the cost estimates lower to incentivize green investors. W/ your #'s the idea has more appeal, as even w/ 1.1m all-in a net of $109,000 is ~10% cap rate.

eckert16

Reaction score
Great job reading prior posts as a newbie! Looks like you're on a roll. Yes, your plot size. Maybe you (or your lawyer) review the local zoning requirements as an exploratory step if you are set on that land. It can take time to make any regulatory changes (and get your local EPA rep buy in), and that may help you (or limit) your options. Some places (yes) have minimum 'car stacking' requirements for an IBA carwash, and that plot may be a limiting factor for an IBA without changes ... not to reiterate that in the current political environment you'll want to onbtain cooperation of your county EPA rep (hopefully pro-business or .... yeah).