What's new

Detailing can't wait to get started!

dogwasher

Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like I'm going to try doing details at my wash. My attendant has done it for years in the past so I have been working on getting all the supplies, tools, pricing and a brochure together. I will be surfing this part of the forum now and I'm excited to do this! Thanks for any help or ideas!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Two things I've been working on are lighting and operational efficiency.

Lighting should be lower than ceiling height if you have a 10'-12' ceiling. This gets tricky when keeping lights out of the way of larger vehicles and still aimed at the work area. Better lighting=higher job quality.

As for efficiencies, I'm thinking more about an air-powered chem. delivery system as well as stationary vac stations in the shop and fewer mobile units taking up valuable floor space.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Thanks Wax Man, can you recommend what kind of lighting to use?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use high output fixtures and T8 bulbs all over the place.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Waxman, I don't know much about lights so would you recommend what type and where to by them and would they be water proof? I'm temporarily converting a SS bay to be used for detailing and it will still be used for SS when not being used for details.

Etowah

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i buy mine from a local guy; lighting solutions. they are not waterproof so may not be right for you.

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
I have a customer who converted one of his SS bays into a small single detail shop. He originally had intentions of using this bay for SS when not detailing but with the bay always being wet and dirty, it became impossible to use it for both - It took too long to do a proper clean up job in order to detail in the same space. Detail shops need to be neat and tidy, and preferably dry when possible - He uses his other SS bays for washing the car before bringing it in for paint treatments.

By dedicating a bay permanently my customer was able to install proper low level lighting (4-5' off the ground on the wall), heat, ventilation, and shelving for supplies. As well he installed a central vac system with hot carpet extraction so he did not need to have the clutter of a portable unit.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like a great little shop ken-pro. :D I'd like to learn more about a central vac and extractor setup. My shop would be so much roomier with something like that but as with other upgrades, it takes money and time.

I agree about lights being 5' off the floor on the walls in conjunction w/overhead lighting.

Also agree with the detail area being far more sanitary than a carwash bay.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I have a customer who converted one of his SS bays into a small single detail shop. He originally had intentions of using this bay for SS when not detailing but with the bay always being wet and dirty, it became impossible to use it for both - It took too long to do a proper clean up job in order to detail in the same space. Detail shops need to be neat and tidy, and preferably dry when possible - He uses his other SS bays for washing the car before bringing it in for paint treatments.

By dedicating a bay permanently my customer was able to install proper low level lighting (4-5' off the ground on the wall), heat, ventilation, and shelving for supplies. As well he installed a central vac system with hot carpet extraction so he did not need to have the clutter of a portable unit.
I'm guessing he had about 7 SS bays? I only have 4 SS bays so its hard to give up one bay. If I knew I could get the customers I would start building a structure to detail in now but first I thought I would test the waters on a low budget.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
then just do it low budget to test your market's potential. remember that marketing this service is key and you're not 'in the game' w/out it.

your price point and job quality are paramount to repeat biz.

i couldn't afford a nice detail shop till 2008 and i have been in biz since 1996.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like I'm going to try doing details at my wash. My attendant has done it for years in the past so I have been working on getting all the supplies, tools, pricing and a brochure together. I will be surfing this part of the forum now and I'm excited to do this! Thanks for any help or ideas!
Ive been in the SS wash business since 1988 and the detail business since 1990. I have a shop that is in conjunction with my auto service center at this point in time. Before this, it was in a stand alone building that once housed my Slant System Automatic. Most , if not all my customer base in the begining was from the Auto wash. Detail / Auto wash same building. Now that it is in the service center, I can cross sell service and detail. The detail business is LABOR intensive as the SS car wash is not. If you use your attendant to do the detailing in one of your wash bays, you could bring in a nice income to offset his / her cost to you. When we started to grow the detail business, the income followed the costs neck and neck. It did not pencil out for there to be multiple detailers at one site to make any kind of real money. Keep it simple. You already have a captive audience in your car wash customers. The tools / supplies are relatively inexpensive. Its the LABOR that killed us. Once we moved the shop back into our service center, the detailling was a secondary income. You can only get so much $$ per detail. Once you get a customer base, it is all about repeat customers.

You can check out our site carwashcompanydetailcenter.com

Good Luck

dogwasher

Reaction score
Thanks MJ any input on this subject has really helped me out.

Etowah