What's new

Detailing Big Rigs

Etowah

washlady06

Reaction score
We currently detail car, trucks, vans and suv's but recently have been asked about detailing big rigs. There are no other shops around and I'm just curious what others charge for Interior, Exterior, Washing and Waxing. Any input would be appreciated. Also, what kind of shop time are we looking at per truck?

Thank you,
Ang

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the long Dollar

It's gotta be BIG BUCKS to do all that. I'd set aside a day and a half or 2 days for one detailer. Two detailers could probably get it done in a day, but that would be pushing it. They'd be very tired.

Here's why it's the most difficult vehicle to detail:

1. Size.

2. Grease!

3. Aluminum, Chrome and brightwork in ample abundance.

4. The interior is often like house cleaning more than car detailing.

Here are special tools and skills required.

1. ladders/scaffolding.

2. Metal polishing! Buffers, elbow grease, metal polish. A Flitz Ball is essential here, as well.

3. Power washer. Must be Bada$$; hi psi and VOLUME, hot water, down stream chem. injection.

3.3 Chems. Must be excellent. Degreaser, GP, solvent for tar.

4. Extractor.

5. Customer service and sales expertise. Truckers can be fussy and right now more than ever they are necessarily frugal. You've gotta first convince them the job is worth the high price you absolutely must charge and then 'show and prove'.

Good luck!:cool:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Obviously each quote must be done individually since there is a big variety of tractors. I would use Waxman's guidelines as far as estimating the number of manhours required to do the job and add in cost of materials then your profit margin. As he mentioned, most truckers are very picky, especially those getting their rigs detailed. You might want to expand the quote sheet you use for estimates and be very specific as to what services you are planning to do. You need to break down the job into each item - hand wash, compounding, polishing, sealant, chrome polishing, wheel cleaning and polishing, interior carpet and seats, ozone treatment, ect. You might even list the cost of each service with a disclaimer that pricing depends on the condition of the vehicle.

I remember a shop that specilaized in detailing big rigs. They did an excellent job, charged accordingly and made good money. I also heard that some of the truckers were great tippers and spread the word among their fellow truckers when they felt the work was good. Word of mouth in the trucking community is as good as gold and means a lot of repeat business. They are tough customers to please but worth the effort.

Good luck.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Go on line and find someone that is doing it somewhere in the country and call them and see how they do it/charge.