What's new

Detailers...... HELP..

Louise

Reaction score
Sprayed tire and wheel cleaner on my windshield by mistake. Thought it was bug and tar cleaner. Well, now my windshield is streaked - badly. Tried window cleaner and various other cleaners today mixed with lots of elbow grease. No success.

Can you make any suggestions??

Thank you. Louise

MEP001

Reaction score
My first thought would be that there's a coating of some sort on your windshield that was stained from your tire cleaner.

Louise

Reaction score
Okay Diamond Wash, can i purchase one in a local store or do I have to order from the internet??

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
It sounds like you etched the glass. No amount of polishing or cleaning will fix etched glass.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Bad News

Save your money for a replacement. Chances are, clay will not correct the problem because clay is used to remove fallout the lies above the surface,; not invasive. :rolleyes:

Plus, some windshields have a protective coating to inhibit stone chips. Achieving an undetectable fix is almost impossible.

Sounds like the product caused a chemical burn to the glass surface. :eek: Best bet is to consult the manufacturer of the product... or ask a local windshield glazier. Most will probably suggest buffing with a glass polish similar to headlight lens reconditioning product. Don't get your hopes up too high, though.:eek:

Bottom-line: Nothing will acceptably correct a badly chemical-scarred windshield. :(

buda

Reaction score
The key is to know the chemical make up of the chemical you spray on the windshield.

Get us an MSDS of the product then we can give you a definitive answer.

You say "streaked" what does that mean? Do you mean streaked or etched or spotted.

Mr Okum is correct but again we need to know what was put on the windshield to give you defintive information.

Big difference between a streak and etching.]

Awaiting your reply

Regards
Bud Abraham

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Try this http://www.spot-x.net/ first. If no work, get glass coverage (insurance)and have it replaced.
Hey Wax, have you actually used that product? If so, what were the results? I have a customer with really badly spotted windows from hard water stains. I've tried everything I could think of, with no improvement.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, but a customer did. She had a BADLY spotted Charger that I buffed. The water spots were very deep in the paint and the glass was just as bad and she got it all out herself on the glass and said the product was simply amazing.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
A few more thoughts...

Jon...

Per your comment, here are a few more options for your water spot problem:;)

1. Retail product in green pump sprayer package. LIME-AWAY - spray, dwell and wash. Keep surrounding surfaces protected with a moist soapy solution.
2. Buffered wheel cleaner (acidic) - carefully applied to sponge or towel onto spots and rinsed with pH-alkaline (8-9) soap afterward.

Start with a dry window-glass. A wet surface will inhibit chemical activity.
The process is simple chemistry that focuses on the pH scale 1-6 acidic, 8-14 alkaline. Using an offsetting solution will neutralize the residue. Works great on lime deposits from covered parking deck fallout from concrete drippings. Severe deposits require several applications of solution. If multiple applications are required, avoid interim water rinsing that dilutes.

Caution: Heat is a catalyst. Start with a cool surface for safest control.

The windshield problem was probably exacerbated by the windshield being hot, accelerating the chemical reaction time. Toasted the glass.:eek:

Suggestion: I recommend that all carwash and detail operations have a supply of litmus paper on hand for a quick check of pH strength. Acids and alkalines both cause damage and many operators appreciate a safe tool for quick feedback. That's what litmus paper provides.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Make sure your T/W cleaner does not contain HF......

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Jon...

Per your comment, here are a few more options for your water spot problem:;)

1. Retail product in green pump sprayer package. LIME-AWAY - spray, dwell and wash. Keep surrounding surfaces protected with a moist soapy solution.
2. Buffered wheel cleaner (acidic) - carefully applied to sponge or towel onto spots and rinsed with pH-alkaline (8-9) soap afterward.

Start with a dry window-glass. A wet surface will inhibit chemical activity.
The process is simple chemistry that focuses on the pH scale 1-6 acidic, 8-14 alkaline. Using an offsetting solution will neutralize the residue. Works great on lime deposits from covered parking deck fallout from concrete drippings. Severe deposits require several applications of solution. If multiple applications are required, avoid interim water rinsing that dilutes.

Caution: Heat is a catalyst. Start with a cool surface for safest control.

The windshield problem was probably exacerbated by the windshield being hot, accelerating the chemical reaction time. Toasted the glass.:eek:

Suggestion: I recommend that all carwash and detail operations have a supply of litmus paper on hand for a quick check of pH strength. Acids and alkalines both cause damage and many operators appreciate a safe tool for quick feedback. That's what litmus paper provides.
Been there and done all that Steve, that's why I am interested in the product in Waxmans' link.

Louise

Reaction score
The product is Dust Off Wheel Cleaner. Contains Ammonium Bifloride and Ammonium Fluoride.

I have not completed the entire windshield, but looks like multiple applications of mineral spirits may be working.

Thank you all for your advice.

buda

Reaction score
That is correct when mixed with water you have hydroflouric acid.

Sorry to say you have probably "etched" the glass.

Mineral spirits will not remove etching. What you may think you see is removal when the mineral spirits is just covering up the etching temporarily.

What you need is a glass polishing kit that comes with a special polishing powder and pad you put on an electric or rechargeable screw driver and polish out the etching, if it is not too deep.

I know find you a source for such a kit, helped a couple of touchlesscar wash operations who use the acid/alkaline two step wash process where the alkaline did not immediately neutralize the acid and the glass etched.

Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS