What's new

detail disclaimer

sunburst

Reaction score
I would like to put a disclaimer for detail customers regarding removal of personnel belongings so I can’t be held responsible for anything lost or stolen. Plus letting them know I can't be held liable for anything that’s broken or doesn't function right because of the cleaning. Does anyone have one that I can look at for ideas or use? I just want it worded correctly so they can't use it against me.

MEP001

Reaction score
When you put up disclaimers of that sort, you're pretty much saying to your customers "My employees will rob you and tear your car to bits, and it's your fault for bringing it here."

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't do it

Maybe an employee manual outlining the penalty for stealing, even one time, would be more effective in reaching your goal; nothing missing from cars.

The employees read and sign it.

My shop's protocol is to place all loose items in a loose items bag. I have insurance to cover unfortunate incidents that occur while vehicles are in my care.

I would advise against your disclaimer, too. You want to give high level service with detailing and part of that is establishing trust with customers and a conveyance of the idea that you are the expert, the professional and your staff is trustworthy and hard-working. Nothing less will do.:)

bigleo48

Reaction score
Agreed, plus it makes your shop seem unfriendly. For example, I know of a SS wash about 1/2hr from me, in every bay he has individual signs with big letters in red saying "NO Bucket Washing, NO dumping, NO loitering, NO grease cleaning" Not too inviting. Makes me think of when I was a kid and my parents would give me crap about something BEFORE I did it :)

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I agree about negative signs on your property. However, to protect yourself, in and out of court, you need signage. Wording them so that they aren't SO negative is the trick. I used the international sign for no. (http://autocareforum.com/Articles/howto/signs.html)

You might make it a policy that when the employee takes "possession" of the car that they ask the customer "is there anything that you might want to take with you. i.e. a weapon", etc. That might trigger them to think about taking valuables out.

Since the employee writing up the ticket, needs to look through the car to point out needs/issues, the employee could also just look in the car and "give" the customer anything that he saw, cameras, etc.

Etowah

sunburst

Reaction score
Its not my employees ripping people off, its the people trying to rip me off. My question again is how do I protect myself from customers trying to scam me. For example, I had a detail customer come in with an 95 VW Eurovan that he had purchased the day before. We detailed it and when he picked it up he claimed that we broke the lock on the door, which we obviously didn't do, but he demanded that we fix it. How can I prevent customers from blaming me for anything thats wrong with their vehicle.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're detailing 95 Eurovans and the customers are blaming you for damage to these clunkers, I think you should examine your operation closely.

Are you charging enough for your work? Do you have updated equipment, nice facility, waiting room and mostly female clientele?

I have had bogus claims also in my detail shop. I never pay them and you shouldn't either.

Have adequate coverage to protect yourself from loss, run a top-notch operation, deny false claims and stay focused on the service and quality of work.

If you can't do these things and feel customers are out to rip you off on a regular basis, pick a different business and get out of detailing because there is something going wrong in your operation currently.

MEP001

Reaction score
sunburst said:
Its not my employees ripping people off, its the people trying to rip me off.
Regardless of who is trying to rip off whom, proclaiming you're not responsible for items left in the car sends a bad signal to your customers. Perhaps a polite reminder for customers to remove valuables before dropping off their vehicle.

sunburst said:
My question again is how do I protect myself from customers trying to scam me.
That's not at all what you asked in your initial post, which is why you got the answers you did.

soapy

Reaction score
In my detail shop I film everything that goes on with multiple camaras. I recall a few instances of people saying we did something which we did not do. One lady claimed we took her hubcaps off of her car. We reveiwed the video and showed her that she had none when she brought it in. She later found out her husband had taken them off a few days earlier. One person said we took some of their floormats. We showed her the video of her car that the floormats she claimed to have were never there. Usually as soon as you let them know it is all on video the discussion is over. Protect yourself with a good video system would be my advise.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I agree with soapy, cameras are a way of life today, people feel screwed from every direction and some just want something for nothing.

The place that has repaired my cars from a number of incidents, take pictures of the car from every angle in and out. They also have cameras though out the shop. When I called about a drink cup left in the car, pictures showed that it was there when I came in. Of course, I sure didn't remember it.

The owner said that they pay for themselves in no time. It also keeps the workers on their toes as they know that they are always on camera.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Well, all of the work was done on the outside, and since my radio was on some rap station, I wanted to know why their worker was in my car listening to a rap station.

I know bitch, bitch, bitch.