What's new

Dema 454 & D&S 5000 Question

Red Baron

Reaction score
I have trash in my Dema 454 Solenoid evidently, as my side spinners remain on about 50% pressure on the downsides...iI've never taken one apart, do I remove the 4 screws on the endcap, or do I need to dismatle the whole thing to clean out?

Also, my D&S 5000 is putting out quite a bit of "soap" on the Power Blaster cycle, makign it not rinse well with the spot free. Check valve?

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, the 4 screws will let you take the guts out. Sometimes it's not debris, the brass wears down and the piston can't slide properly and gets cockeyed and stuck. The only option from there is to replace it. You should be able to tell pretty easily if that's the problem because the piston will feel sloppy or sticky when you move it up and down.

There should be a needle valve at the pipe supplying the soap to the high-pressure pump which you can close down to cut back the soap. If there's not, you can add one.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Yes, the 4 screws will let you take the guts out. Sometimes it's not debris, the brass wears down and the piston can't slide properly and gets cockeyed and stuck. The only option from there is to replace it. You should be able to tell pretty easily if that's the problem because the piston will feel sloppy or sticky when you move it up and down.

There should be a needle valve at the pipe supplying the soap to the high-pressure pump which you can close down to cut back the soap. If there's not, you can add one.
Are you saying a needle valve at the presoak pump, or at the Dema? There is a needle valve at my presoak pump but I've been told that you cut back on soap usage by cranking the pressure up...I never seemed to get the results I wanted by doing that. I'm using more presoak than I need and would like to cut back.

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
Are you saying a needle valve at the presoak pump, or at the Dema?
At the Cat pump. Older ones didn't have needle valves, just lines going into the inlet pipe.