What's new

Damaged leather seat - need advice

jbl5150

Reaction score
After a nice long weekend, I found out this morning we had a damage claim on a 2003 Silver Mercedes E500 w/ 69K miles on it. The leather on the driver seat is now darker in a couple of places. The main spot is the lower back portion of the seat. It pretty much takes up the entire lower portion of the seat where one's lower back would be rested against. We cleaned and conditioned the entire seat and this is the only area that is quite a bit darker. Considering the location and that there is no other damage to any of the other seats in the car, I'm thinking the seat dye could have started deteriorating because of say sweat or something else over time. At this point I'm looking for any feedback as to what you all might think it would be and what you would do. Thank you in advance.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
An experienced vinyl/leather/fabric repair person can give you an estimate. start there.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Its probably a wear spot on the leather due to his back moving against the seat. Consequently the leather in that spot does not have the same veneer -if you will - and thus when you conditioned it turned that spot a different color from the rest of the leather. After all, the leather is in a 6-7 year old vehicle. If this spot is the only area that this occurred, then it certianly has nothing to with what product that you used but rather the existing condition of the leather in the first place. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear - or worn down, 6 year old leather look brand new again. Unless you're David Copperfield.

TheDoc

Reaction score
Good advice,

I've also had the problem on my own vehicles. I like to wear a belt and when you sweat + the leather being heated by the warmer weather, there can be a dye transfer. It has been a problem with vehicles using "glove soft" leather interiors and higher end jeans with more dye.
6 years and 70K? It IS a wear issue more than anything else.

You can re-dye the seat, if you want to go at it on your own, Lenny from Leather Magic offers factory color matched dyes that are some of the best worldwide!

Good luck,
Steve