What's new

Damage ?

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I had a swivel come apart on one of my HP hoses. It was the connection between the boom and the hose.

I got a call from a customer saying the swivel hit the hood of his car & made a dent. I haven't seen the car or verified anything other than the swivel came apart. I have not had to deal with any type of damage before. Has anyone had this happen? How did you handle it?

It's an SMC swivel. It's only been in service for 2 or 3 weeks. I've used many of these swivels before without issue.

Last edited:

washme1

Reaction score
My opinion as a former insurance agent is that you are liable for the damage assuming the swivel did fall on his hood. If there was a defect, I would think the manufacturer would reimburse.

waright

Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to us. We have a location, mainly unattended, in a poorer part of town, and it just happened to be a new Dodge pickup, 4 weeks old. One of the few nicer-type vehicles that we see here. My wash partner was there when it happened, so we know it was legit. We tried a cash offer on the spot, $100; but the pickup owner wanted to get estimates.

we paid a $250 claim, didn't contact our insurance co. I think it was the right thing to do.

I learned to double check the swivel. They have a split section with an oring inside, and could possibly unscrew.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
waright,
what type of swivel?

did you have him sign any type of waiver?

I am going to meet with this guy tomorrow. I still haven't decided how I"m going to handle it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
When it is "cut and dried" legit, I just tell the customer to take it to Joes body shop and have it fixed. I call ahead and tell Joe to send me the bill. I've only had a couple that wanted to take it elsewhere. In both cases, the shop they picked was reasonable and I just wrote them a check. I didn't make them jump through any hoops, sign anything, or whatever. They didn't do anything wrong so I see no need to make it any more of a hassle than it already is for them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I would also send the swiwel parts to SMC to determine if there was a defect. This would serve the dual purpose of having them correct it and perhaps having them reimburse you.

Now, the swivel may or may not have been defective. It certainly could have been damaged by this or some other customer hooking the hose on a car and pulling way to hard.

captain cw

Reaction score
I had a hose bust right by the gun last year. Wand jumped out of holder and beat up new Dodge charger. $4,000 later, I'm a little smarter about about replacing hoses whenever they start showing signs of wear.

captain cw

Reaction score
It burst right by the trigger which caused it jump out of the spring loaded holder. Then it started flying all over the place. I deleted the video because it made me sick to watch it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It burst right by the trigger which caused it jump out of the spring loaded holder. Then it started flying all over the place.
I still don't understand how a hose bursting near the gun (where nearly all do), or anywhere else has any bearing on it flying around. It sounds like the gun was at fault, but even then the burst hose should relieve some pressure and reduce the likelyhood that it would launch. I guess that just one of those things that make me go hmmm.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Thanks for the all the information.

I saw the guys car today and the damage was very minor. It was a tiny ding and a few light scratches in the clear coat. It'll be less than $100. No point even arguing over it.

waright

Reaction score
i just looked it up, it was a smc swivel. dultmeier part sm2400-34. I don't use these anymore.

The guy got two estimates, and they were close enough that I paid him the one that he wanted. IMO, who cares if the guy actually went and got it fixed.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
waright,
The Swivel you mention is f/f. Mine was the m/f version of the same swivel.

I have used many of them. Perhaps a bad batch?