What's new

D & S Quicksilver Problem

washme1

Reaction score
Over the last several weeks I've had water enter the plastic box containing the electronics inside of the gantry. This happens as a result of oscillator hoses bursting which is a normal occurrence. I replaced the box and electronics less than a year ago at a cost of $1600 due to the same problem. First, I put a bead of silicone around the rim of the lid to the box and the ports where the wires enter the box. Next time, I put a shower cap over the lid to the box and more silicone. Third time, I put even more silicone around the lid. Cracked the lid trying to get it off yesterday. I can see that the components inside the box are now corroded.

Has anyone else had to deal with this situation?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd try and improve the oscillator hose situation. Why is it bursting with such frequency? Is it wire-braided HP hose? Is it rubbing on something else?
Maybe a beefier hose or some protection from rub-thru could help. Shouldn't burst so often, IMO.

I've got HP hoses inside my gantry as well as an electronics cabinet, but I have had very few hp hose leaks inside the gantry (not a DS).

Lastly, is the box one with clamp downs on all sides and a rubber gasket?

washme1

Reaction score
I'd try and improve the oscillator hose situation. Why is it bursting with such frequency? Is it wire-braided HP hose? Is it rubbing on something else?
Maybe a beefier hose or some protection from rub-thru could help. Shouldn't burst so often, IMO.

I've got HP hoses inside my gantry as well as an electronics cabinet, but I have had very few hp hose leaks inside the gantry (not a DS).

Lastly, is the box one with clamp downs on all sides and a rubber gasket?
One hose was rubbing. It is wire braided teflon hose. The box has a stainless steel screw in each corner and the lid is lined with a rubber gasket.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There must be a hole in the box somewhere that you cannot easily see.

However, I would fix the rub-thru situation any way I could. An HP hose inside a gantry should last for years, IMO. Mine do.

Some guys on here use hard plumbing in certain spots. Not sure if this tact would work in your situation, but there are grades of HP hose and maybe a heavier grade is called for. Sometimes mfgs. will skimp on things like this to save $.

washme1

Reaction score
One hose was rubbing. It is wire braided teflon hose. The box has a stainless steel screw in each corner and the lid is lined with a rubber gasket.
These hoses are continuously flexing back and forth as the jets oscillate from side to side.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe a hp swivel or 2 would help? Are there any in place now?

ToFarGone

Reaction score
I just don't like all the electronics out in the bay...seems like they are moving more and more to doing this.

washme1

Reaction score
I just don't like all the electronics out in the bay...seems like they are moving more and more to doing this.
I agree. If these electronics do have to be in the bay, they'd be much better suited in the carriage instead of the gantry.

Etowah

Wash-it

Reaction score
Take a close look at the cord grips that are entering the cabnet. Be sure they are all nice and tight on the wire/jacket... also check that the lock nuts are secure on each cord grip... Sometimes the outer jacket of multiconductor cables can get a hole or rough spot in them. This will let water inter the cabnet via inbetween the jacket and insulated conductors...Use the good hp stainless steel oscillator hoses from D&S (The higher price ones that have the stainless steel braid on the outside)