What's new

D&S 5000 Solenoid Issue

Reaction score
Does anyone know which solenoid needs to be fixed to prevent high pressure spraying out of the top of the gantry as vehicles enter bay?

Thanks,
ACO

robblackburn

Reaction score
Does anyone know which solenoid needs to be fixed to prevent high pressure spraying out of the top of the gantry as vehicles enter bay?

Thanks,
ACO
I am not an expert on this machine but this is the way that mine has always operated also. I guess it is just priming after the blow down. It is annoyning and confusing to some customers but I think that is the way it should work. Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

Rob

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe there are four Dema 454P solenoids on the manifold, one for the undercarriage, one for each top row of tips, one for all the sides. Just follow the hoses.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
When you say high pressure.....are you meaning really high pressure like what sprays out for the undercarriage or is just a low pressure clearing of the lines....? If it is high pressure like when the undercarriage comes on then you got something opening that should not be...if it is low pressure then it is actually clearing the lines of spot free rinse water and priming the presoak applicator. That would be what you want to happen.

MEP001

Reaction score
borumrm, I don't know how old your D&S 5000's are, but I've never seen one that's smart enough to clear the lines and prime for the first presoak pass.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Well, we have 6 of them and the range from about 8 years old to 3 yrs old. Back to "another carwash owners" issue....there are two solenoids on the presoak pump...one for side applicators as you come in and one for the general presoak application from the side spinners and the overhead nozzles. When the car hits the entrance treadle or loop depending on the age of your setup, this trigger two or three things .... one if the undercarriage option has been selected it will make that high pressure event occurr and it will also trigger the side applicators (not the side spinners) to apply the presoak to the side of the vehicles....now the difference is this depending on how you have your system set up it can also open the solenoid for the regular presoak application which will cause it to begin to apply presoak before the care tire sits on the in position treadle...this will clear the lines of spot free rinse so that when the car is in position the presoak should be ready to hit the car. It is not an exact science as some folks run in so fast the miss the side application and others move so slow the presoak is coming out of the side nozzles and the upper tips before the car is in position and the gantry begins to move.

MEP001

Reaction score
That must be what the bypass valve around on the presoak solenoid is for. I would always close it - D&S never told us what it was for.

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. F.Y.I. - I decided to take apart both the power blast & top oscillator solenoids and found pieces of broken off pvc pipe inside. Probably from the check valve underneath the rinse tank which had previously been replaced. So far, it fixed the problem.

If anyone else is having a problem with their HP rinse spraying when a vehicle enters the bay, but before their front tire hits the treadle pad, check and clean the above solenoids.

ACO

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Well that would make sense....trash in the solenoid would keep it open a bit allowing high pressure to go thru that solenoid. These solenoids are normally closed thus keeping fluid from moving forward..(unless activated or opened with debris)..this is the opposite of the check valves which keep the fluid from moving backward.