What's new

Customer Loyalty and wash formats

Chiefs

Reaction score
A few of questions for express operators or anyone with two cents to give.

#1 If you have a competitive market and everyone is at $5, what on God's green earth is going to make a customer loyal to your establishment?

#2 Do you ever think that given the fact that nearly every operator out there is using the same old, tired 3-4 tiered wash format - you know good, better, best; A,B,C; Gold Silver Bronze, etc., etc., that the motoring public is so oblivious/used to this that it has become archaic and ineffective as a marketing tool? Not to mention the fact that with very few exceptions (and only if the attendant is paid a commission) seldom are customers even asked which wash they want.

With the usual 3-option wash format, say $6, $9, and $12 most operators probably average maybe $7.50 or $8 perhaps a bit more but not much. Given the the fact that the cost differnece between the $6 and $12 is probably about 50 cents, why not take a more honest approach with customers, stop the games, commissions and pressuring of customers to upgrade on every visit?

The reason I ask, is that as most fo you know, we basically offer only the top wash for $10 with Rain-X as our only add on. I have been surveying my customers of late on whether they would like the option of a basic wash for $7 and thus far the vote is 50% for and 50% against. I am going to do a more in depth survey next to tery and find out if those that want it are less frequent customer and those that don't are regulars. That is what I suspect. My thinking on it is that between the economy and falling wash volumes over the lst 2+ years, that we need to get the cheap seats back. However, this strategy will only work if the volume picks up as a result.

Your thoughts ...

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In answer to #1 I am not sure I agree with your premise that customer loyalty is tied mostly to the wash price. Years ago I worked for a chain of washes that offered a $4.99 basic full service wash. Several other washes opened up during the time I was there offering a lower priced basic wash that had literally no effect on our volume or revenues. In fact those washes changed hands several times. I think our customers chose us because of wash quality and the convenience of our sites as much or possibly more than the price.

I have never been a believer in a one price fits all philosophy but if it works for you that is great. I believe customers like choices. From my experience most customers seem to choose the same package most of the time but I also believe that some either buy a higher or lower priced wash based on how they feel at the time and what they feel their vehicle needs to maintain or improve its appearance. I think a customer is more inclined to visit a wash when they can choose to spend more or less money on their visit rather than knowing the choice is yes or no to getting a wash.

I am not sure that surveying your own customers will give you a definitive answer. Probably the only way to find out is to try it for at least a year then make a decision. In any case I think that price is not the only or even the main factor in customer loyalty. While it may be part of the equation I think that wash quality, convenience, speed, wash appearance and location have much to do with customer loyalty.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A. Quality of Service
B. Speed of Service
C. Value
D. Convenience
E. Services structured to need. - A la carte extra services demand varies by season such as under carriage and rust inhibitor as well as attractiveness of clean car guarantee. Interior cleaning which may not be used as often as exterior cleaning.
F. Top Package giveaways from custom Air freshener to windshield washer solvemnt to Lotto tickets.
G. Bulk sales i.e. wash books and monthly passes.
H. Convenient vacs (we have pay vacs) and vending.
#2 - See #1 . Offering packages and A la carte services

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The only way that you can set yourself apart is customer service, as well as quality

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm IBA/SS.

I recently added 2 days/week at a big discount for seniors on day 1 and ladies on day 2.

Yes it devalues the wash to some degree. But it also has improved cash flow, gotten new customers to try the wash and rewards my regulars.

It also creates traffic onsite and gives folks a few more $ to vac? buy vending? think they can afford a hand wax?

It's too much discount on one hand but the right discount for them to bite on the 'special'. And when they bite I get several business opportunities that do not exist otherwise.:cool:

briteauto

Reaction score
Loyalty - some will be, some will not be. I think it is more about the personality of the customer rather than the operator/business. Some get their coffee, hamburger or slice of pizza at the same place, no matter what. Others grab it wherever it is most convenient, or perhaps like experimenting at different places - they like the variety. As long as it tastes good and they are satisfied, what do they care?

Same with a car wash. If the competition provides a clean car, friendly service and competitive pricing - comparable to your business, (at least as perceived by your customers) - why in their mind should they go to only one place. Some, hopefully most, however, will gravitate to one place- they have that brand loyalty - all we can do is continue to keep them as happy as possible. As you found out, Bill, some want a basic wash, some do not want to pay for anything else than your best - treat them like royalty!

We take car washing very seriously. For most people, it is a 5-10 minute chore/necessity/errand that they want to remove from thier list of things to do. It is also very disposable - a bad haircut lasts a month, a bad wash - until it rains! They might not have even had the chance to notice it was bad.

It is hard to find out what makes people tick. if you are in a market, with several competitive washes, similar in price and all providing clean, shiny and dry cars it can be tough. We all always say "offer something better," but as hard as we try, a certain number of our customers may not always be devoted soley to us.

Believe me, I am not saying we just sit back and take what we get, but I do think if you are offering a similar format, pricing and services as your competitors, you will end up sharing some customers. It is up to us to make the ones who are loyal, our lifetime customers.