What's new

Cryptopay Setup

Twodose

Reaction score
How long does the pre-authorization charge stay on your credit card account as pending before the actual charge is posted?

I'm trying at home before installing at the Carwash.

I'm surprised they charge a $10.00 pre-auth. There are 2 for that amount sitting on my CC for 2 days.

When I hear talk on the forum about charge backs, I can see why, most pre-auth charges that I have seen on my CC are for $1.00 and are pending for only about 1 day if that.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
You can call and adjust the pre authorization amount down. However if using count up and someone goes over the authorization, you are at risk that the charge will be rejected. We lowered our reautherization. actually got a bad google review because someone spent 6.00 in our auto and his debit card was hit for 10.00. claimed we overcharged... idiot posted on google.

Last edited:

KleanRide

Reaction score
It normally takes about two hours for pre-auth to adjust to actual charges.

I got sick of the phone calls about the $10 pre-auth charge so I had Crypto reduce it to $3.00. I've gotten a couple of chargebacks but that's better than trying to explain banking and commerce to folks with little capacity for rational thought.

Twodose

Reaction score
There are 2 charges on mycryptopay.com/ site status/ view purchases, one for $12.00 and one for $17.00, both on the same day 10/26/20.

I had a $12.00 limit set on count up, tried that twice, then I set the limit to $2.50, tried that twice, that is why there is $29.00 in total charges on cryptopay.com.

For the CC that I used, online there are 2 charges for $10.00, one on 10/25/20 and 10/26/20, but as of the 28th there still is not a $29.00 charge.

I am doing this at my home before putting in the carwash and used my credit card to see how the transactions flow.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been told that the bank is responsible for the hold and how long it takes to clear, not Cryptopay or your merchant service. It can vary from a few hours to ten days.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Exactly. Check with your card issuer. We have it happen all the time that a customer will return something, we issue the credit to their card, and they call us because their issuer takes forever to apply the credit even though it's been out of our account for days.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get a few complaints. Handling them is simple; I log onto mycryptopay. Look at sales data. Find customer name and amount I received. I tell customer what I was paid. Anything above that amount ( which represents the hold amount) is between the customer and the bank. I tell customer to call me back if the charge is still there after a few days; no one ever calls back.

New Washdog

Reaction score
I get a few complaints. Handling them is simple; I log onto mycryptopay. Look at sales data. Find customer name and amount I received. I tell customer what I was paid. Anything above that amount ( which represents the hold amount) is between the customer and the bank. I tell customer to call me back if the charge is still there after a few days; no one ever calls back.
We handle the calls the same way, and have had the same results.

Martins

Reaction score
Has anyone put signage up in the bay explaining the pre auth hold?

MEP001

Reaction score
I have at another wash I was involved with. I basically copied what's on most gas pumps. It helped, but didn't stop the calls. People don't read signs, and once they're mad the signs are invisible to them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Got a few calls lately at the Gas Pumps for a $150.00 Hold. I tell the Customer 1. It is their credit card Company that places the hold.2. It will come off after 1 Business day. I believe you have to "Batch out" which happens once a day but is only processed on business days.

Twodose

Reaction score
So what do you use for the pre-auth amount, and are you count up, starting price? Curious if most are using there max for the pre-auth?
Looks like cryptopay can change that amount as some stated.

Last edited:

bert79

Reaction score
We use the $10 preauthorize and the $15 max. We are count up. Have maybe 2 calls a month regarding the preauthorize amount. There are about 2-3 a month that dont press the stop button but i have only received one call on that in two years.

jack954

Reaction score
$10 pre-auth, $4 minimum, $15 max, count up. i would guess i did that about 8 years ago. average 1 call a month about the $10 and i’ve never had a comment or complaint on the $4 minimum

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
Has anyone put signage up in the bay explaining the pre auth hold?
I think there are already too many signs in my wash bays.
I was getting 4 to 5 phone messages a week about the $10 charge for what was supposed to be a $5 wash. So I added a message to my answering machine explaining that the charge would go away when the bank processes the transaction. I can't blame the customer since there is no printed receipt, and they check their phone immediately because they are down to about $10 in their account anyway.