What's new

Creativity and stretching the sweatshirt Seth Godin's Blog

pitzerwm

Reaction score
What does it mean to be creative?
You could watch the most non-creative, linear-thinking, do-it-by-the-book cop work to solve a crime and you'd be amazed at how creative her solutions seem to be. Creative for you, because you've never been in that territory before, it's all new, it's all at the edges. Boring for her, because it's the same thing she does every time. It's not creative at all.
For me, creativity is the stuff you do at the edges. But the edges are different for everyone, and the edges change over time. If you visualize the territory you work in as an old Boston Bruins sweatshirt, realize that over time, it stretches out, it gets looser, the edges move away. Stuff that would have been creative last year isn't creative at all today, because it's not near the edges any more.
This gives you two useful tactics for problem solving:
1. If you want to be creative, understand that you'll need to get to the edges, even if the edges have moved. Being creative means immediately going to the place the last person left off.
2. If you are "not creative," if you are the sort of person that gets uncomfortable being creative or has been persuaded you're not capable, don't worry about it. Just stretch the sweatshirt in your spare time, watch the creative things other people have done, keep up with the state of the art. Then, when you do your "not creative" thing, most people will think it's pretty creative indeed.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Magic Jack Report

I guess most of you have seen the Magic Jack commercials. Well, I decided to get one since 2 of my friends had it and were happy. One replaced his line 2 and the other uses it at his office for communications between the offices, freeing up one of his lines.

I got mine yesterday and installed it, works great quality great, the voice mail is a bit hokey. I also use Skype with a Skype phone, but you are teathered to the computer. The magic jack, you can plug a cordless phone into it and use it anywhere, or you can plug it into your wall jack (unplug the phone companies "input") and then all of your house phones are "live". Its $20 a year for free calls to the US and CAN. I haven't done this but if you take your MJ with you on a trip, any computer you plug it into, even overseas, you are talking in the US/ to the US for free. If you send one of these after you set it up in the US, to someone overseas, they can call into the US like a local call.

Bottom line once you pay the $40 for the thing, its $20 a year how bad could it be. BTW my number is 509-723-1648.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
A friend just bought a skype type of cellphone about $140 he said from Tiger Direct. It's a portable phone that works from any WIFI spot.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not looking good for the long distance companies!