What's new

Copper to Galv

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I know the typical transition is a Dielectric fitting / union.

Noticed that Brass valves are on both copper and Galv line. Can you go from copper to a brass Nipple to Galv and skip the Dielectric union?

MEP001

Reaction score
I would remove the galvanized.

I've seen copper, brass and galvanized mixed in plumbing and it seems to do ok, but it's against code in some areas. It's necessary to isolate things like glass-lined storage tanks with dielectric unions to prevent electrolysis.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
This place was set up with all copper feeds for air and water to the mixing stations . Since I am adding Rain X and tire shine I needed a couple more outlets. Copper is grat but a PITA to work on in an emergency. So, the add on simply was for the purpose of adding a couple more outlets.
I am fairly sure that when you get into the surge tank / secondary water supplies which feed only car wash equip most codes do not apply . Otherwise there is no way you could use braided hose, pvc etc. to arches and other equip.

mac

Reaction score
If you have to add to the plumbing but don't want to sweat fittings, go with pvc. I teach my techs that galvanized is a dirty wird, to be used only in an emergency. It eventually will come back to bite you. BTW, sweating copper fittings becomes relatively easy if you get one of those turbo torches and use MAPP gas. Mkaes all the difference in the world. Just be sure to properly clean the fittings and use flux.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I actualy don' like copper. Seems I have a failure when it's busy late on Friday and it's 20 degrees. Then I have to shut down, wait for the moisture to drain and get things warmed up and sweat the entire line hoping I have all the right copper fittings. with Galvanized I can usualy go to the closest fitting and throw a valve on their, close the valve and then continue to work with the place back open.

mac

Reaction score
I have recently seen a new type of fitting that can be used on almost any materiel. They are similar to the Presto Lok fittings for tubing, but larger and for pipe. Saw them in a Lowes or Home depot.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have recently seen a new type of fitting that can be used on almost any materiel. They are similar to the Presto Lok fittings for tubing, but larger and for pipe. Saw them in a Lowes or Home depot.
Saw em at owes. Just how many types and sizes would I want to inventory.

Example this week why copperis a PITA. pressure relief valve on Hot water tank is leaking. SImple fix ... but... The tube from the valve is 2 feet of copper, an elbow and 6 foot dwn tube. Top of tank is about 8 feet high. cannot unscrew the tube because you would have to rotate the entire 6 foot length and there is not enough room. So now I have to cut the down tube and then sweat on a male and female fitting to put it together. would have been nice if installer did something similar. Just added about a half hour to a simple job not counting running for fittings.