What's new

Copper plumbing and equipment room layout.

APW

Reaction score
Getting ready to install my equipment and I was wondering if there is a need to run everything in copper? Is it for apperance or is there something more to it? Can it be done with CPVC just as well? Also can anyone chime in on layouts for your equipment room? I have a small room 8*20 and I will have my self serve, automatic, foam brush, triple foam, air compressor, water softener, vac it up system, plus RO machine. I would like ideas from you experienced guys so I can lay it out the best way and not regret it later.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Getting ready to install my equipment and I was wondering if there is a need to run everything in copper? Is it for apperance or is there something more to it? Can it be done with CPVC just as well? Also can anyone chime in on layouts for your equipment room? I have a small room 8*20 and I will have my self serve, automatic, foam brush, triple foam, air compressor, water softener, vac it up system, plus RO machine. I would like ideas from you experienced guys so I can lay it out the best way and not regret it later.
I don't think you need to go copper with everything...in fact if I had it to do over again I would use PEX....it is easy to work with and the wireshark fitting make repairs a breeze...you need to check the fitting because there are special one to use where you need to go from PEX to Copper.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but when I do repairs I use PEX where I can. Easy to use, easy to get, and can be repaired quickly. When I say repair, it's usually the fittings/connections which have worn out and not the pipe itself. For example, I converted my copper line that was used as a soap manifold to all the pumps with PEX because it began getting pinholes in it and spraying. Granted, the copper was 20yrs old. However, I replaced with PEX and the only issues I've had are with the brass type connectors getting eaten away from the soap. I keep plenty of extra parts, so repairs are easily done.

mac

Reaction score
Being an old fashioned kind of guy, I prefer plain old pvc. Easy to do, cheap and looks nice when done right. For instance to supply the mixing tanks on the self serve stuff, I make a manifold out of 1" pvc and drop down to 1/2" off the tees to feed the individual tanks. Always, and I mean always, put a ball valve off of any tee. If you are up north and have hot water you may have to go to cpvc. Some tips for a new room: 1. If possible build a shelf with sturdy wood and place things like water storage tanks up above. 2. Use the soft water only for chemical mixing and RO. It's really a waste to rinse with soft water. 3. Find room to place a small workbench in there. You will absolutely need one for small repairs and a place to set your beer down. 4. For God's sake put in a utility sink. You will need to wash up before going home and a place to tinkle at night. 5. Try to set as many wire shelves as you have room for. You will need space to store supplies, and the wire shelves won't collect dust. 6. Put a regular 110 volt outlet about every 10 to 15 feet around the room. Try not to use GFI outlets. 7. The floor is going to get wet and you will spill chemicals on a regular basis. Have the contractor put in a small trench drain down the length of the room. The concrete guys on a construction site drink the most, and they will never get the slope of a floor right if you go with one drain in the center.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I used CPVC when I remodeled my equipment room. You can see it in the upper left at the beginning of this video. I used 2" for the main and I stubbed out 1" lines to tempering valves for each piece of equipment.[video=youtube_share;EOm-xGHedgM]http://youtu.be/EOm-xGHedgM[/video]

trentu

Reaction score
My plumber swears by PEX as it is really easy to use. I don't see any reason to use copper except if you are running really really hot water (check PVC, CPVC, and PEX specs on temp.). As far as layout, if you're concrete is down already, try not to have any water lines going the short way across and use and overhead for all electric and phone/data that goes side to side, my floor is cut in half with lines across it. Good luck

mac

Reaction score
I have sold complete equipment packages solely because I was the only supplier who included a sink and workbench. My salesmen competitors mostly have never owned or operated a wash and don't understand the importance of some basic things. Since most of them also never visit this site, I'm safe in mentioning some of my "secrets".

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
All of my washes have a rest room. It took me until the last one to figure out that the eq. room would be quieter if I put the air compressor in there. I have a sink in each wash as well. Two of them have the sink out in the eq. room instead of in the rest room, which is handier as well.

soapy

Reaction score
I was talking to my plumber last week about copper vs. pex. All my washes are in copper so far by the way. He said that the cost of using copper has gone up by another 30% recently because the government has mandated that all the pipe, fittings. solder etc. must now be 100% lead free. The threshold used to be lower but now everything must be refined more to meet the higher standard. More commercial projects are now going with pex where ever possible.