What's new

cool advertising method

eda

Reaction score
Ok, so my text message went out to customers 10 days ago. I sent out 988 messages to cell phones numbers I had on file.

We have dollar off coupons on site, and 3-4 times or so a year I have a mailer that offers $2.00 off. The Val - Pak mailer has never returned more than 10%

For this text, we offered $1.50 off any wash & a free air freshener. So far to date I have had just over 150 customers utilize this. The expiration date is Sunday, the 10th.

Overall, I am pretty happy. Return is at 15% and still have time left for customer redemption. In addition, I have had customers in line who asked what the customer is showing my cashier the phone for. She explained the coupon. Now, we put a sign by the register for customers to provide the cashier the cell phone # for future discounts.

I will do one final update the middle of May.

Eda

bigleo48

Reaction score
Eda,

Thanks for that. It seems like a good way to retain customers and get their attention, however I would not compare it to the Val-pak coupon directly. I too have done the Val-Pak type mailouts and they have been OK, but in that case, I'm going after new customers...so if I can get 10%, with say 5% that are new, then that's good. Your SMS coupons go towards existing customers. So the focus is different.

Also, I found the direct mailouts work well for the first few and then tail off after 4 or 5 mailouts. So it will be interesting to see if you can maintain that 15% with the SMS coupons, or will they tail off too or even better grow as the customers better understand what they are getting.

BigLeo

eda

Reaction score
Final text message tally.

The last 10 days the coupon went really well. Out of the 988 messages that went out with the discount offer I received 365 phone coupons. At over 35% return, I rule it successful.

Since I had the coupon out there for 3 weeks some of the customers used it twice. We guess about 15 -20 people used it twice. This is new to me, so maybe next time I would shorten the length to two weeks.

Also, as I mentioned last time I put a sign out asking customers to provide us their cell number to receive future discounts via text. Just over 50 people did this, which expanded my database a little bit.

Well, that's my feedback on this campaign. Truly, I would recommend it to someone else.

Eda