What's new

Conveyor in the Winter

surejoe8497

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with their conveyor freezing in the winter? Being in Illinois it consistency gets below freezing and the portion of our conveyor that is outside tends to get water on it that turns to ice resulting in it freezing. Overnight and on slow days we put an insulated tarp over it but we are looking for a more effective way to prevent this from happening?

madstack

Reaction score
Hang one of those portable halogen work lights under the grate facing the sprocket.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am in Chicago. Usually down to 10 degrees or so it's not an issue. We had a cold snap a few years back High was -12 and we could not keep places with conveyors that went outside open. Next day high was -3 and the three with outside conveyors were open all day. A hot water hose slowly running on roller up area worked . Torpedo heater outside with air directed downward in same area worked as well. There is a heat cable of the type used to keep roofs ice free (Commercial grade) that I use in the SS trough that could be attached to the conveyor but good GFCI would be a must. Also, if 20 degrees or colder, do not stop the conveyor for any length of time.

madstack

Reaction score
I should have said to hang it overnight and pull it during the day. Got the tip from our equipment supplier.

br549ms

Reaction score
I know this is a late reply, but be careful with the work light. I had a friend who's radiator froze up on his 72 Nova. He put a halogen work lite by it under the hood and he left for the day. When he came back the car was burnt up with a note from the local Fire Department stating there would be charges for them putting it out.

kswash

Reaction score
We put rubberized matts over our conveyor which is exposed overnight and take it off during the day. We also have heat wire in certain sections and turn it on if it gets extremely bad.