What's new

Converting from hand wash

jbl5150

Reaction score
We are strongly considering converting from a hand wash to an automated wash system. The main reasons are consistency and labor cost savings which we believe should be tremendous.
Has anybody (or do you know of anybody) who has converted from a hand wash to automated? Were there any issues? Any pluses? And the big question, how did you convince your existing customers that this was a positive move? Surveys I have done is showing I will lose about 30% of my customers and that terrifies me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

jbl5150

Reaction score
We are located in North Texas. Demographics for our area include a median household income of $100K a year in a somewhat afluent area. We have quite a mix of newer vehicles and older vehicles in our wash. One full service wash 3 blocks down the road and an exterior a mile the other way.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Is your competition friction or hand wash? If you are the only hand wash and your competition is friction, then I would think you would be OK as you leveled the playing field with your competitors by removing the "friction or hand wash" question from the marketplace.

Actually, I think you will be just fine switching to friction especially if you switch to neoglide and or microclean. And you let your customers see/feel a sample of the material. At the end of the day, customers are after a clean dry and shiny car. Most customers don't care about the specifics of how you provide it, so long as you don't damage their car and provide a good value.

Many hand wash tunnels are on the short side. Is your long enough to pack with equipment?

jbl5150

Reaction score
I only have about 80 feet to work with, but I am hoping between the equipment, set-up, speed of conveyor, and chemicals, we can make up for the shorter tunnel. Then again, I might be living in a world of make believe. Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

Chiefs

Reaction score
An anecdote for you. We put in a hand wash for a customer in Cleveland several years ago. It was a 100' conveyor with blower rinse arches, pre-soak etc, everything except washing equuipment. After the first winter wash season he came back to us with the money to add the washing equipment.

Several months later I took another potential customer who was also an operator of a hand wash. When the potential customer asked the operator what the difference was between hand washing and automatic, he replied, " As a hand wash if someone had come in to rob me at the end of a busy day, they would have had to kill me to get the money. Now that everything is automated, I give it to them.

That is the difference. Given that you have been a hand wash I would recommend for you to put in a hybrid system employing first a touchless wash process followed by a 5 brush unit (mitter, sides and wraps). Your polish/triple coat would need to be placed betwenn the touchless process and the cloth in order to lubricate as well as be able to remove the polish enough to get a well rinsed vehicle. All of this can be done in 80' as long as you go front wheel pull.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
A Different Perspective

Having been in car-washing for quite some time, and having own several very successful hand-car-washes years ago, I offer this advice.

First, if you do not currently offer express detailing, you're leaving a lot of money on the table, especially if you have a favorable demographic. :eek: Hand car washing... and detailing go together perfectly. Especially, if you have the right after-care set-up! ;)

Second, consider automating the washing process with a few key components, but avoid undoing anything that diminishes the actual manual washing process. Remember that people are coming BECAUSE YOU'RE A HAND-CAR-WASH! That may be an important competitive edge in your marketplace. I would avoid the sometimes harsh "touch-free" chemicals , but focus on the most effective applicators, rinses, and drying systems, where touch-free is important. If possible, I'd install a moving-floor conveyor that significantly increases production but eliminates the many risks involved in conventional conveyor systems. plus, the perception of having no guide-rails or roller hazards will mean a lot to everybody. The distinctive upscale impact of a moving-floor conveyor is huge! It allows you to wash everything, including low-clearance exotics without risk of damage.

Third, recognize the genuine value of your staff. Review your pricing and make sure you can properly fund the operation... while paying your staff well. :rolleyes: In fact, very well. Your employees are your key, so helping to make their job "better" will go a long way. If they're happy, they will likely keep your clientele happy, too. ;)

(cont.)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Been There - Done That!

(cont.)

Bottom Line: Business is business. You need to make a profit that justifies your putting a key in the door each morning. If the manual washing concept can no longer be supported by your marketplace, or if your labor pool becomes too much of a challenge, start making the transition as Bill suggested. But do it carefully, first introducing automatic "mitters" that are not threatening to hand-car-wash customers. Be extra-careful with wheels and tires because your clientele probably enjoys upscale wheels that are very expensive.

Hand-Car-Washing is making another comeback in many marketplaces, and upscale areas see strong profits generated by facilities that provide the kind of presentation that fussy customers require... and will pay for each week.:cool:

It makes sense to begin your evaluation with some fresh, comprehensive research on your marketplace. Ask the "market" if they will support an upscale hand-car-wash by doing your homework... and planning your project. Yes, I know you're already open and washing cars. :rolleyes: But if an expansion is being considered, find out how it will affect your bottom line. Will giving up the distinction of meticulous hand-car-washing cost you valuable marketshare?

Best of luck and good fortune to you. :) Let me know how you're doing.

-Steve

Chiefs

Reaction score
People come because you are a car wash and they trust you to use the best solutions and equipment to clean their car. It is up to you how you do it. The one thing that hand washing will not permit you to do is wash high volume (500-1000 cars in a 10-12 hour day). Figure out what you pay for labor each day, month and year and that buys one helluva lot of equipment and soap - which BTW shows up everyday, doesn't borrow money, doesn't not show up when you need them and doesn't have drug and/or alcohol addiction problems. You will probably eliminate at least 2-4 man years from your payroll which if you pay them well comes out to around $20,000 per man. Over just a standard 5-7 depreciation period those same employees will have cost you between $400,000 to $560,000!!! And with today's investment tax credits, the payoff is even faster.

Most customers don't know anything about how you are washing their vehicle. Hell, we were totally touchless in our tunnel for 11 years and most people didn't even know we were touchless. They came for a clean, dry, shiny car, period. If you give them a show, lots of soap and lights, etc., and produce a great car, they'll be happy, and you'll be happier with lower costs and greater wash volume

I understand the attraction, far less equipment investment up front. But that equipment will pay for itself every year you wash cars while you struggle to find, train, and keep your handwash laborers.

Get the right equipment and you hand wash customers will be happy. Hey if I can take away full service and increase wash volume and revenue by 250%, you can switch them over from a hand wash to automated format.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Converting from hand-washing to fully automatic washing has obvious benefits for the operator but it can create a lot of uncertainty for customers.

Your challenge will be to eliminate or minimize this uncertainty and assure customers that the company's value proposition will be improved substantially.

This means demonstrating/educating to customers that the conversion to fully automatic will provide them with more convenience (i.e. faster process speed, shorter waiting lines, etc.) and value (i.e. better quality, more service options, safe and effective process, etc.).

Given the off-the-shelf technology that exists today, you can stick a lot of high-powered equipment in an 80' wash-bay and create your own version of an autohandwash to produce an exceptionally clean, shiny and dry vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Bob Roman
RJR Enterprises - Carwash Consultants