What's new

Converting a self serv bay to an oil change bay

Etowah

Turbo

Reaction score
Has anyone converted a self serve bay to an oil change bay? Or are they aware of it being done anywhere?

Thanks

Turbo

TheDoc

Reaction score
We had done it years ago at two of the four facilities we operated. The conversions was pretty simple if the bay is long enough to accommodate a 4 post lift plus ramps and doors for both ends. You need enough room to adequately walk around the vehicle and to have access to lubricants, filters, tools, etc.
Fairly cheap investment if the business is there.
Keep in mind that the new vehicle dealer WILL BE your strongest competitor in most markets as sales are down, service is clearly up and that is where (the dealerships) they are spending money!

Good Luck,

Doc Simo

Jason Studer

Reaction score
I turned an eight bay selfserve in to a three bay Auto Repair Shop and a office/waiting room. The selfserve customers became instant customers with little to no advertising. I have been in business for over six years and things are good, the car wash revenue went down alittle but did not get cut in half.

If you are in a cold weather climate save your waste oil, buy a waste oil heater or boiler. I no longer use natural gas to heat the wash or the shop. I have considered heating the water with waste oil as well.

I would offer more then just oil changes.
A/c recharge
Transmission flush
Coolant flush
Batteries
Maybe even light mechanical work
Brakes, belts, ect.

Don't sell your self short.