What's new

Considering Replacing Express Exterior Conveyor with InBay Automatic Rollover

Bonanza

Reaction score
Looking at replacing our older Express Exterior Conveyor with InBay Automatic Rollover. Goal is to reduce payroll cost significantly, by having the tunnel unattended other than a few hours a day, and able to run 24/7. Currently have a minimum of two employees all hours we are open (12 hours/day). New competition has cut into our volume, and prevented us from raising prices to cover increasing payroll costs due to minimum wage increases. Would appreciate feedback on pros/cons of this change in business model.

washnshine

Reaction score
Well, you know you will cut your volume significantly so I’d consider a machine with plenty off-board options. Like some chemical application, rinse, sealer and drying. You probably have the space for this type of set up of you’ve got a tunnel now. Can you cut labor to one employee and keep your tunnel? You could bring in the second on the really busy days? I’ve seen this done before but do not have any statistics or knowledge of how it has worked out. You might want to keep friction so that you can approach the level of the current wash you offer.

Last edited:

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Do you offer monthly wash plans at your tunnel? If not you are leaving a bunch of money on the table.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Without a lot more information, there is no way to answer this question. How many cars is the tunnel washing? What is your current menu? How does the wash compare to the competition? What's the Gross and Net of the tunnel. Less labor does not mean more profit, when you are going to wash far less cars at lesser quality than a tunnel can do it. A new In-Bay's gonna run $150K easily, why not put that money into your tunnel?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
You most definitely don't need 2 employees during all hours for an EE. I run basicaly 2 shifts with one employee and another comes a few hours after we open and leaves after about 8 hours and does any needed clean up, fix up and maintenance. I have noticed several Gas and wash locations remove conveyors and install IBA

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Here is an example of a 65’ tunnel that operates 24/7 with no attendants:

Since it's a "Petro Canada" site I can't help but wonder if it is at a site that also sells Gasoline and hs people available if needed.

rstephenson

Reaction score
Since it's a "Petro Canada" site I can't help but wonder if it is at a site that also sells Gasoline and hs people available if needed.
Yes it is a fuel site but they are not actively manning the wash during normal operation. At night there is usually only one person in the C-store so they can’t leave to attend the wash very easily.

br549ms

Reaction score
I believe that STI also designed the Macneil Belt Conveyor.
I like the idea of being open for 24 hrs, but ...........