What's new

Concrete anchors turning, can't undo!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Howdy

Time to replace treadle pad today. Got all but 2 nuts undone. Last 2 the whole anchor is turning and I can't loosen the nuts.

Any tricks on getting these last 2 when the anchor itself is turning? Guess I could cut them off. Is that my only option here? Thanks.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Depending the type of anchor it is, sometimes you can drive a screw driver under the plate to put tension on the anchor and then loosen the nut, if it is the expanding wedge that is set by driving it into the hole then try to reset it by driving it back down, before trying anything put some wd-40 or other thread loosener and let set for a while.
Grinder if every thing else fails.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks! Actually, while you were posting I was down working on it again. Here's what I did:

1. Sprayed alot of Zep 45 on the 2 anchors that spun. Took some pieces of rubber I had and taped them to the jaws of Vise Grips so I wouldn't damage threads. Held the threads while loosening the nuts. They started to turn!

2. Wound up finishing removal of nuts by prying under them with a flathead screwdriver to apply pressure, like you said.

Now, what if driving the anchors down doesn't secure them and they spin while I try and tighten them down once new pad is installed???

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
If they are finger loose, then the hole is probably out of shape, then you can get the threads working good by cleaning and oiling them and add a large nut under the anchor nut and tighten it down on the larger nut and force the anchor out of the hole, you might have to add several large nuts under the regular nut to lift it high enough to force it out of the concrete, sort of like jacking it out but with the threads

Im cornfussed now!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update

Just finished this little project. It went fine. Got the new pad installed and fastened down. Tested a couple cars. Worked perfectly. Thanks for the ideas! Hopefully I've solved my 'phantom wash problem'.:)

Red Baron

Reaction score
When putting them back in, and the hole is wallowed, look around and find a small stick, piece of cardboard, nail, chewing gum, etc...shove it in the hole beside the anchor for snuggness. That's how we roofers would do it.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Waxman, I had the same problem a few years back. Had to cut all of the nuts off but one. Left it that way for a couple years until I had the VTs installed. After I cut the nuts off there were still slight stubs of the bolt above the concrete. I never had a problem with it moving.