What's new

Compressor Pump Too Hot to Touch

Etowah

Red Baron

Reaction score
My IR compressor is too hot too touch, is that too hot? It is 100 degrees here today, will it help if I plump the air intake into a bay?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would think it should be too hot to touch. I'm no expert, but my compresor guy told me that the air coming out of the pump gets to about 400 degrees. I doubt that the cooling fins could get rid of the heat fast enough to keep it terribly cool.

MEP001

Reaction score
If it's running a lot, like half the time, it's goinf to get hot. Is it hotter now than before you had the problem with it sticking on? The oil may have gotten too hot and is broken down.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Too Hot to handle Too Cold to hold They called the Ghostbusters and they're in control!!! I had to throw that in there, If your compressor runs alot then yeah it will get extremely hot check to make sure you don't have an air leak somewhere causing the compressor to run unless your washing cars nonstop there should be no reason your compressor would be so hot you cannot touch it. I had that problem once came into the equipment room and the compressor was running and I touched it then said some choice words and found that the air cylinder in the auto bay was leaking fixed the leak and the compressor ran normal compressor cooled down, I also changed the oil due to it running so long.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
My IR compressor is too hot too touch, is that too hot? It is 100 degrees here today, will it help if I plump the air intake into a bay?
Which part of the compressor are you talking about? The head , cylinder, and supply pipe to tank will get very hot to touch, this is caused by the term called " Heat of Compression" this heat is what fires the diesel engine where there is no spark, so it get very hot.
The crankcase where the crankshaft is located and the oil sump will or should not get this hot, make sure of correct oil level!
There are on many pumps a belt pulley that has fan blades built in and blows surrounding air over the pump, make sure it blows over the pump not sucking the air around , it could be installed backward.
Back to your question of cooler bay air, I would not do because the compression will still heat up the pump and also you could be pulling in more moisture which is a problem in itself with the water condensate inside the system.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
1. It should be hot.
2. I think some ancillary cooling might help. In one equip room when it gets above 8o degrees outside I run a 2000 CFM fan directed to each motor and compressor. You can be fancy and have it temp controlled. The compressor fan attached to the pully naturaly only runs when the compressor runs. These run alll the time when it's hot. At first I thought it a half a**ed solution and then watching a show on amusement parks I saw they did something similar.
3. You can also have (I do this as well in one equip room) use an attic type temp controlled ventilator to exhaust hot air.