What's new

Combo Automatic

James007

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would like to hear from anyone that owns or knows of anyone operating the Nu Star or Autec EV-1 Combo unit. Has it been dependable?, does it clean well, is it a reliable workhorse? Just looking for a little feedback if any of you guy's have seen this machine in action. I'm just shopping right now. Just basically wanted to give customers the choice of the friction or touchless wash.:)

Thank You

Red Baron

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would like to hear from anyone that owns or knows of anyone operating the Nu Star or Autec EV-1 Combo unit. Has it been dependable?, does it clean well, is it a reliable workhorse? Just looking for a little feedback if any of you guy's have seen this machine in action. I'm just shopping right now. Just basically wanted to give customers the choice of the friction or touchless wash.:)

Thank You
Only thing i can offer is that I don't know of a single IBA manufacturer who doesn't call their unit the "workhorse" of the industry. They seem to like that word, workhorse. It is what the word creampuff is to car dealers...pretty much a meaningless description.

MEP001

Reaction score
None of them can be called a "workhorse" if the proper maintenance and preventive maintenance isn't performed. We run a Vector which is down maybe 4 hours a year on average, but I have over 20 years experience in car wash service. I know what to look for to prevent most problems from ever happening in the first place. I've seen machines that are generally pretty reliable that are so poorly maintained that the owner leaves a cone by the auto cashier for customers to block it off when it quits on them. One of them is the Laser at the c-store less than 100 yards from us.

washnvac

Reaction score
I have five Nu*Star soft touch machines. They do a good job, but have a lot of moving parts that require daily inspection. As well, they are hydraulic so you have that inevitable issue of a hose break over a vehicle. Overall, I really like them---obviously because I have kept buying them.

A while back I had an N/S combo machine. The biggest complaint was always---The brushes did not come on at all. No matter how many signs you put up, when they see cloth most expect it to be turning. Your people looking for touchless will assume it is not. So I would do one or the other......just my 2 cents. Good luck.

James007

Reaction score
I have five Nu*Star soft touch machines. They do a good job, but have a lot of moving parts that require daily inspection. As well, they are hydraulic so you have that inevitable issue of a hose break over a vehicle. Overall, I really like them---obviously because I have kept buying them.

A while back I had an N/S combo machine. The biggest complaint was always---The brushes did not come on at all. No matter how many signs you put up, when they see cloth most expect it to be turning. Your people looking for touchless will assume it is not. So I would do one or the other......just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Red Baron, MEP001 and Washnvac thanks for your feedback,

Washnvac- Is it not worth to have the combo unit since might be better to have either touchless or friction unit to prevent confusion with the customers? I will be there 8-5 Tues- Sat since will be doing auto detailing business, If I am there then can answer the customers with any questions to prevent confusions. If you dont mind emailing me what you paid for the N/S Combo unit and does it clean well with touchless?

Etowah

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I had two nustar comets. With all the swivels-it required about one a month at $500, or more now. It was terrible on hydraulic hoses, all the surging pressures moved the hoses and would wear them fairly quick. It washed good with the 0 degree nozzles, but the swirling spinners scared alot of customers. I figured it cost about $600 most months to keep it going. It also needed greasing about every 2 weeks, and if you didn't grease the swivels correctly, they would blow out. I wouldn't trade my vectors for one if it was free. On each machine i have only replaced a couple of butterfly hoses in last year, and an ultrasonic that was 3yrs old- less than $600 a year for two machines. Also no track and no treadle anymore. When it got real busy the hydraulic solenoids would overheat and burn out, of course when it was busy(Downtime), and then the spinners were facing back- would take a mirror completely off.

James007

Reaction score
I had two nustar comets. With all the swivels-it required about one a month at $500, or more now. It was terrible on hydraulic hoses, all the surging pressures moved the hoses and would wear them fairly quick. It washed good with the 0 degree nozzles, but the swirling spinners scared alot of customers. I figured it cost about $600 most months to keep it going. It also needed greasing about every 2 weeks, and if you didn't grease the swivels correctly, they would blow out. I wouldn't trade my vectors for one if it was free. On each machine i have only replaced a couple of butterfly hoses in last year, and an ultrasonic that was 3yrs old- less than $600 a year for two machines. Also no track and no treadle anymore. When it got real busy the hydraulic solenoids would overheat and burn out, of course when it was busy(Downtime), and then the spinners were facing back- would take a mirror completely off.
Whale of a Wash-

Thanks for the feedback and didn't realize NS comet units require that much upkeeping and can be costly per month, I was just checking out Nu Star's combo unit which it does have the spinning wheels - will research more before buying. Thanks again

Gabriel

Reaction score
I would keep shopping. It is hard enough to keep either a touchless or roll over going. Kind of like owning a TV with built in DVD and VCR tapes. With a combo you are going to make customers mad everytime something goes wrong with either system. When it is down everything is down. I would research and settle on one or the other and if you really want both install two machines. Possibly one at a later date. I have seen the problems with customer learning curve, dissatisfaction, and outrage. Just keep it simple (KISS). Buy the automatic you really believe in, keep it in top shape and it will reward you. I have owned each and I have competed with Combo's for years. I will not say that customers are not smart, but I will say they are not smart enough and that is a major problem in itself. Good luck with whatever you select.

James007

Reaction score
Hi Gator-
Thanks for the useful information- you do make a very good point. I do want it to be very simple for the customers as if they aren't paying attention then they will click to get touchless instead of friciton wash, they would assume the brushes wasn't working properly or broken then be ****ed off.