What's new

Closing on Sunday

ShinePro

Reaction score
But it goes back to Earl's point about the restaurant industry being different than the car wash industry.

Let's look at the weather, too. It snows on a Thursday, and things are dried out by Sunday. People want to get the salt off right away.

Another wrinkle, too, are memberships. I don't know if it applies with the original poster, but I can imagine many members getting angry at not being able to wash on Sunday.
Can’t argue with any of that!

It’s why I said “I miss those days” - because they are gone and are’nt coming back for a multitude of reasons, two of which you stated.

DavidM

Reaction score
My express tunnel is closed on Sundays. We have a competitor that is very close, he is open on Sundays and we have a new tunnel coming in that will be open on Sundays. I am committed to remaining closed. It is good for my entire team and myself to have that day off. I believe an argument can be made that the revenue impact is small but I think the decision should not be driven by revenue, it should be driven by principle.
Figure out what your priorities and values are, then make decisions accordingly.

David

madstack

Reaction score
I can clock my busy times on Sunday to when church lets out. Do what you want, it's still a free country.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
No doubt. They will go to the competition.
I live in a town where there are 3 carwashes...5000-6000 population...One of the washes close on Sunday, 4 ss bays and an automatic....Your comment is true, I have picked up a lot of business because of this. While I don't understand the practice since the cw runs unattended, I'm not complaining since it has increased my market share...I completely understand if you have a full service site....Totally different than a SS site.

Etowah

wash man 2000

Reaction score
But it goes back to Earl's point about the restaurant industry being different than the car wash industry.

Let's look at the weather, too. It snows on a Thursday, and things are dried out by Sunday. People want to get the salt off right away.

Another wrinkle, too, are memberships. I don't know if it applies with the original poster, but I can imagine many members getting angry at not being able to wash on Sunday.
The membership issue is why I am making this decision before we open. If they had 7 days and we "take away" a day that will seem like they lost something. I we are open 6 days when they sign up, they know that in advance.

Speed Wheels

Reaction score
Closing on Sundays in a predominantly Christian area, such as the South, where many businesses also observe this practice, could have several impacts on your express tunnel business in Central Florida. Like Chick-fil-A, you might find that your customers respect and support your decision, appreciating the commitment to your values and your employees' well-being. This could foster a loyal customer base that compensates for the day of closure by visiting more frequently during the six days you're open. Industry veterans often note that providing employees with a guaranteed day off can improve morale, reduce burnout, and enhance overall service quality, which can lead to sustained or even increased business performance. Ultimately, the key is to communicate clearly with your customers about your operating hours and the reasons behind them, emphasizing the benefits to your team and the community.

Speed Wheels

Reaction score
It sounds like you're referring to a situation where people in a community frequently wash their cars either before or after attending church services. This practice likely stems from wanting to present a clean appearance when going to or leaving from church, reflecting a sense of respect or tradition. For those who prioritize having a clean car for such occasions, waiting until Monday might not be ideal, hence the preference to wash on the way to or from church. This ritual underscores the importance placed on appearance and respect within that cultural or community context.