What's new

Clearing drain stoppages

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
About twice a year, the mud and whatever overtakes my drains and its time to call in the plumber. I've found that hydrojetting works a lot better than a snake as it seems to clear the lines better. I've snaked it myself a few times but that isn't my favorite chore, if you know what I mean.

Unfortunately the hydrojetting costs $250 per time.

I just found a new product designed to clean out drains that screws onto the trigger gun of a pressure washer. Sort of like the poor man's hydrojet. I ordered one when Bay 1 started draining slowly, and I bought the version with the 100' hose that was around $150 including shipping. The hose size is similar and maybe a little smaller than 1/4 high pressure hose. Probably a little more flexible.

Today the Bay graduated from a slow drain into a small lake, so it was time to try it out. This thing works GREAT!!! The head on it has some very tiny streams of high pressure water, one forward to eat away at stuff and I think 3 tilting backward. The 3 tilting backward makes this thing crawl itself down the drain without having to push on the hose hardly at all. I would let it crawl forward on its own for about 3 feet, then pull it back, then let it go a bit farther, etc. I clearly knew when I hit the blockage because there was a familiar whoosh when the line cleared.

I was a little skeptical that this thing would work very well, as it is clearly a much smaller version of the BIG hydrojet machine the plumber has. But ..... it worked perfectly!

http://www.cloghog.com/

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much all the car wash supply houses have the nozzle that you can screw on your own hose. I think it cost about 8 bucks. I have my own crimper and made one about 50' long, but the length of a spare bay hose would probably be enough since the buildup is usually close to the pit.

MEP001

Reaction score
I recently had a bay back up with mud too, which of course happened on a Saturday - I made one out of an old bay hose with a brass cap on one end and three holes drilled in it like the pictures of the ones I've seen. Total cost was half a a buck, and it took less time to clear the drain than it did to pull the grate off.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
They go around corners just fine. If you notice they have some holes drilled on the sides at an angle which shoots water back towards you, so the hose pulls itself into the pipe. It still helps to push / pull on it as it works its way down the pipe and clears out any sludge. Kleenrite sells the nozzles also. They are not that expensive. Not sure what makes this one cost more but the kleenrite version works just fine for me.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
They go around corners just fine. If you notice they have some holes drilled on the sides at an angle which shoots water back towards you, so the hose pulls itself into the pipe. It still helps to push / pull on it as it works its way down the pipe and clears out any sludge. Kleenrite sells the nozzles also. They are not that expensive. Not sure what makes this one cost more but the kleenrite version works just fine for me.
Never mind....I see the version on the linked web site includes the hose. Kleenrite sells the nozzle ... I aready had a hose. :p

bigleo48

Reaction score
Yeah...been using that tip for years. Works well.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I know in the past I have boguht mine form dultmeier, which had several nozzles and the hose, and a foot pedal attachment so that one person could operate it easily. The hose is a very flexible nylon braid type hose.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Foot pedal

A foot pedal attachment would be a nice addition. One person can squeeze the trigger and handle the hose but a hands free control would be great.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I don't know how ya'll get that thing to work. I tried it years ago and never had any luck. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since. Every once and a while I take it down to try again only to rediscover why I don't use it.

Etowah

sparkey

Reaction score
I use mine on my pressure washer. I just unscrew the wand and screw the jet on the hose. Lots more pressure than the bay wand hose.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ghetto Wash said:
I don't know how ya'll get that thing to work. I tried it years ago and never had any luck. It's been sitting on my shelf ever since. Every once and a while I take it down to try again only to rediscover why I don't use it.
It depends on the cause of the clog. When I had a bay not draining, the pipe was full of fine silt that had settled in it. The drain blaster caused a nasty slurry to come back up the pipe into the pit until it punched through, then it suddenly all drained out. A friend had issues with plastic bags and other trash flowing down the pipe and getting stuck, and the blaster probably wouldn't have worked. He would have to use a snake with a screw-type snag on the end and pull the debris back out to clear it.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I had one nozzle that did not self-feed very well. I enlarged the holes facings backwards a bit, and the unit feeds itself just fine now.

It works fine for mud, sludge, & natural debris. If someone shoves a can or bottle down you're drain you'll need the big auger type machine.

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Duane,
We use the jetter to clear our lines. To make things a little easier Julie (my daughter) uses a 4 or 5' piece of conduit bent 45 degrees so she doesn't have to get down on the ground in the bay to shoot the line.

The service truck carries a couple of 50' x 1/4" HP hose with the Jetter attached. Water in the self-serve's just doesn't flow fast enough to keep the drains flushed out consequently the buildup of the mud.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Rotating style? More flow gain?

Kevin & others,

The bent conduit is a good idea!

Anybody have good luck with a specific brand of rotating type of jetter nozzle? We are now using just the non rotating nozzles because the rotating ones we tried seemed to not stay together? Over 20 years ago we manifolded our bays together so we have the option to go with a bigger nozzle --- anywhere from 1- to 6 pumps. Usually we just use just 2 of the pumps unless we buy a more flow capacity nozzle somewhere.

It seems like Roto Rooter once explained to me that they have the means for really big capacity of flow that they use for city drains clogged with sand or whatever ... I am not sure how at what point more flow would be useful for us car wash operators though.

mike walsh of bismarck

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
We have never used the rotating jetter, but a few years ago I had a sewer cleaning company offer to clean all our drain lines at all of our locations with a heavy duty jetter and then video to show us that they had been done. I think he charged us $1,000. bucks to do it and they did a good job.

The bigger units are going to clear the whole drain line very quickly where there is nothing left in the line. I'm sure they would not do it for $1,000. bucks today.

Since that time I started looking for video cameras for line cleaning and bought one last year that has 65' of line on it, with a DVR that is battery operated and/or 110VAC. It's a neat package and was not that expensive.