What's new

Cleaning R.O. Membrane

Louise

Reaction score
Do any of you do this??? Is it effective??? I have discovered at least one company in the U.S. that cleans them and returns them

If not, I need a good (cheap) source for a 4" membrane.

Thanks guys.

MEP001

Reaction score
Whenever I've seen them come back cleaned, the output quality is not as good. Most RO system manufacturers say that 50 and below is "spot-free water," but from actually using it it's more like 30. When they come back clean and producing water above 30 ppm, it's not going to dry spot free.

Kleen-Rite is probably the best source for membranes. Between the cost of shipping, cleaning and downtime, I wouldn't mess with it.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I just ordered some this past fall from Dultmeir. They are FilmTech membranes, and was cheaper than any where else I checked.

Jeff

mac

Reaction score
Cleaning is relatively easy, but also complicated. Part of the problem is that you have to know what is on it in order to select the right cleaning chemical. I've used muratic acid with sometimes good results. All you need is a small pump, a 30 gallon plastic trash can, and a gallon of muratic, which you can get at most hardware and pool stores. I mix 1/2 gallon to about 20 gallons of water and have the pump run it through the membrane. Take both reject and permeate hoses off the menbrane housing, and run them back to the trash can. Let it run for 20-30 minutes, then fill the trash can with water(RO preferred) and flush. It does buy you some time. This only works if you have something on the membrane that muratic dissolves.