What's new

Clay Buffing pad Test

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i put the clay pad on my flex buffer and tried it today. it worked well and was quick.

however, if the clay material curled up around the edges of the pad it would allow you to get the nooks and crannies better. as it is, some 'finish claying' with a traditional clay bar is necessary for doing a thorough job.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update; clay buffing pad marred the finish. Could be it was old worn paint, as it did it less to a newer vehicle.

However, my clay bars don't mar (fine grade). Maybe there is a finer clay pad as well.

More research is needed.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
There is a fine grade pad as well as the towel. You might be interested in the towel for cutting in. Just be sure you break the pad or towel in on the glass for about 1 minute to get the protective coating off or you will have problems.

The best thing about the pad and towel is that if it's dropped you can rinse it off and go on. You will get some marring on softer paint especially if you're not using the fine grade.

buda

Reaction score
Clay pads

Waxman

You should try either the clay towel or the clay wipe. They are the newest innovation in the industry and detailers all over North America are using them in place of the clay bar or the clay pad.

They are easier and faster to use and allows you to get into every knook and cranny on the car.

Actually they are not clay, ours are a special "elastic polymer media" that works wonders.

There are a few suppliers out there in the industry.

Bud Abraham