What's new

Clarification on Car Stacking Requirements for Car Wash

carwash_nashville

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently working on a car wash project and have come across a question regarding the local zoning regulations for car stacking. Our prospective site has a three-car stacking requirement per bay. I am wondering if this stacking requirement includes the car being washed in the bay.

Our lot is quite small, but it offers excellent frontage. Given the limited space, we can only accommodate two cars in line from the pay station, while the third car is inside the bay being washed.

Could someone with experience or knowledge in this area please clarify if the city's three-car stacking requirement includes the car in the bay? Your insights would be greatly appreciated, as it will help us to ensure compliance with local zoning regulations and optimize our facility layout.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
CN

OurTown

Reaction score
I'm not sure about your local requirements but I would wager that it does not include the car being washed. A two car stack may not be nearly enough on busier days and will limit profitability of the site. The city will hate you for the traffic problems it will create. You could compensate some by having three or four auto bays but then you will have a lot of money in it. Could you change the site plan for more stack up? Enter in the rear and the exit dump right near the road?

kentadel

Reaction score
Stacking requirements are "in addition to the vehicle being served" in every area I have encountered. I would confirm with local zoning.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Ive always heard, better to beg for forgiveness, than plead for permission.
But i "think" stacking is the # of cars waiting in line. But there could certainly be a case made for 2 in line + 1 in bay = 3.🤔😁😎

carwash_nashville

Reaction score
I'm not sure about your local requirements but I would wager that it does not include the car being washed. A two car stack may not be nearly enough on busier days and will limit profitability of the site. The city will hate you for the traffic problems it will create. You could compensate some by having three or four auto bays but then you will have a lot of money in it. Could you change the site plan for more stack up? Enter in the rear and the exit dump right near the road?
To avoid the stacking problem we are going to put 4 automatics. It will increase the upfront investment but also increases the throughput and avoid some stacking problems.

I think it is better to have them enter from the back and exit traffic to the street. This will help as well.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ive always heard, better to beg for forgiveness, than plead for permission.
I always did things the other way around, but if I had stuck to that I wouldn't have a car wash now.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Stacking is the cars in line; not cars being washed.

I have one wash that stacks in the front, and one that stacks in the rear. Stacking/entering from the front is much better.

If cars enter from the rear of the property, then basically you are showing the "ass end" of your wash to the road, which is where your potential customers are. Not desirable.