What's new

Chip reader, Near Field, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay

copperglobe

Reaction score
Are there companies out there working on the technology to have these types of credit card transactions for our washes? Nayax I know has terminals with this technology but is WashCard, WashGear, anyone else? I'm getting more and more customers asking about using these systems and for me as an owner I like the idea of no chargebacks.

APW

Reaction score
Cryptopay is suppose to release a new reader that will do this in the next month or so.

copperglobe

Reaction score
Cryptopay terminal will have a chip reader? And have they become compliant in the Feds regulations?

APW

Reaction score
I'm not 100% on the chip but I was on tech support and the guy told me that they have a new reader coming out that will do the tap to pay and he told me I shouldn't have any more problems with cards not reading with the new one coming out.

APW

Reaction score
My bad. It is not a chip. This is what the tech just told me:

The new reader is a contactless payment, it will not have the ability to insert chips. The reader is going to connect to existing swipers

OurTown

Reaction score
Cryptopay is passing up the chip reader to have the tap to pay but how many of those cards are out there vs chip?

MEP001

Reaction score
All mine have been for at least the last ten years. I don't know if the chip readers could work for us because if I'm not mistaken the card has to remain in the reader during the transaction. And as much trouble as I have with chip readers working when I make purchases, I can't imagine how it would be reliable in a self serve car wash environment.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Cryptopay is passing up the chip reader to have the tap to pay but how many of those cards are out there vs chip?
I thought all CC were chip style now?
We take Credit Cards w/ chips, by swiping them,all the time & no problems.
What other forms of payment are there?

copperglobe

Reaction score

OurTown

Reaction score
What I'm asking is how many "tap to pay" cards are out there? I received my new credit and debit cards recently from our credit union and they are only chip and swipe.

MEP001

Reaction score
What I'm asking is how many "tap to pay" cards are out there?
I Googled for that info and couldn't find how many are out there, but one report says 51% of card holders use the tap-to-pay, one said 60% of Visa card holders use it. I don't know for sure if that means people who actually pay with that method or if it's that percentage of the cards have the ability. Several reports said that the cost of making the cards with tap-to-pay is about $1 where it was $2 15 years ago when it was first being pushed. Between Samsung Pay/Apple Pay, card users and the coronavirus, I'm sure it will become more common.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Almost half of all bank deposits are held by the top 15 largest, like Chase and B of A, so it would make sense that at least 50% of cards would have tap to pay

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Yes, cards have the swipe ribbon and the chip. However, they are completely different things and not the same technology and security. Here is a great article that describes the differences:

One thing that the article that was extra flattering about Apple Pay did not mention is about a need with a proper warrant to be able to track terrorists which was on the news awhile back ... it seems like the USA Justice Dept. could & probably should win with a final ruling. Tim Cook says 100% privacy ... AG William Barr says there are in reality compelling reasons to not allow that extreme of a position on tracking???

BTW ... I notice that I was in one of our two locally owned huge Ace Hdwe Stores a few days ago ... & they still require swipe but they are sticklers for signatures ... even on small purchases ... unlike most of the local grocery stores when it comes to under $50 receipt amounts. It is puzzling since the receptacles show EMV or swipe but the cashier-clerk & sign said "swipe only"???

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
BTW ... I notice that I was in one of our two locally owned huge Ace Hdwe Stores a few days ago ... & they still require swipe but they are sticklers for signatures ... even on small purchases ... unlike most of the local grocery stores when it comes to under $50 receipt amounts. It is puzzling since the receptacles show EMV or swipe but the cashier-clerk & sign said "swipe only"???
There is much information that you're lacking to be able to understand this issue.