What's new

Chemical Changeover 24 VAC Solenoids out in the Bay!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I guess this is kind of a straightforward survey. Gleaned from past posts it appears like some of us are providing a more ideal quicker changeover of chemicals by having some 24 VAC solenoids out in our bays. If we do --- from experience --- is it practical or wise to have those solenoids sealed in gasketed Nema 4x enclosures? In this case a little healthy sarcastic humor is OK. Sometimes being a redneck can be a good thing. Comments are welcome but not mandatory if you already have a little too hectic of a day!

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
I don't think putting the solenoids outside is necessary - Put them in the equipment room, and run individual lines from the solenoids to check valves above the boom. This way you only need to run plumbing to the boom not plumbing and electrical. The changeover time would be the same.

If you have to locate solenoids in the bay I would highly suggest a sealed box - more for longevity than anything else.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I agree with ken Pro. Not sure how you would put solenoids in the bay or exactly where.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Kevin,

I did follow your advice on the transformer hookup late last night & it appears to have solved the GFI problem ---time will tell. Sorry for not going to 24 VAC hazard post to answer but my computer is crawling for some reason so it was easier to answer here since it is related.

Earl & Kevin & others who have seened delivery gain,

I was hoping that I would get responses along the line of since the solenoids are encapsulated already in a kind of rubberized surface that there would be no need for the expense of a stainless steel enclosure. Also, as long as the Class 2 transformer setup is accomplished in a 100% dry area --- no shock hazard.

The sealing of the tubing in the car wash bay would be a lot easier than the very end of our dog wash console because we needed to bring pipes above our removable console roof because of space & alignment issues. We never dreamed that the electrical inspector would envision our dog wash as a dripping wet all over area. The splash guards that we have set up & tested will only allow tiny amounts of splashing of water on 6 of these encapsulated Dema or Asco 24 VAC solenoids. For these tiny amounts of water to occur it would have to be vandalism or extreme carelessness from the dog washer which would show on our DVR recorder. Again the voltage is fused 24 VDC or VAC or less in the area that the inpector says has to be "thoroughly sealed"

I wish there was a local firm that was available to certify UL/ETL for a reasonable fee but I am afraid that is more available in a larger city like where you guys are from.

MikeV

Reaction score
I recently moved the solenoids at a 6 bay ss from the bay to the equipment room, the reason, the in bay solenoids were all rusted and hard to get to to work on. If you put them the bay, enclose them. The owner really liked the new set up because of the ease and accessibility on the new panels.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
MikeV,

Thanks for the reply. What you say makes sense since the mounting part of the Kip & Dema solenoids are not stainless steel. My main question for my fellow operators to share the fact that the solenoids are not burning out or creating a safety hazard in that very drippy & condensating environment. The application is in our long overdue Dog Wash where our local electrical inspector seems to be hung up on tiny amounts of water that might splash or mist on these types of solenoids. If it was possible to seal off this solenoids with Nema 4X enclosures 100% we would. He has never seen this style of Pet Wash before so he is making an assumption that it will be just as condensating, dripping wet as our car wash areas. Hence, the post here rather than the Pet Wash section of this Forum. Even if we could enclose ---- there is the possibility of a fitting failing & then the water really would be trapped.