What's new

Chem cost per car

jshepard

Reaction score
Has any one tried a powder presoak from CSI that you mix 1 container in a drum then inject? If so how much is it per container? How well does it work? What is the dilution ratio?I heard something about it today. If it does not work well then who has a good powder or super concentrated liquid to save on shipping.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I just started using KO Thunder Powder as a High PH presoak with good results. I am not sure what my cost per car is but I think I am saving quite a bit compared to another leader in chemical industry who is know for blending high ph powder with an injected surfactant. I have been using it for about four months and so far would recommend it. No, I am not a chemical rep!

Buzzie8

Reaction score
See this website:

http://www.komfg.com/

Also, you should know they do not offer free shipping for any quantity but we all know that there is no such thing as free shipping. I think the way they price their powder makes the shipping worth it. Roughly $400 for 400lbs of powder. My old cost for powder was $100 for a 40lb box or $1,000 for the same amount of powder. I used to go through about 2-3 boxes of the 40lb powder a week. I use a bit more of the KO to get the same titration but the cost savings are still substantial.

jshepard

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. How do you mix, (example: 1/40lb box to a 55 gal drum) then you inject? Email me when you get your cost per car figured out, if you wouldnt mind.
Thanks again & God Bless!

Buzzie8

Reaction score
You are correct 40lbs to 55 gallons. My cost per car would not be a fair comparison because of the excessive amount of pre soak my iba utilizes.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
But isn't cost per car the end measurement? You want a clean car, but at what cost.

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
When I was operating my IBA, I used to figure about 70cents per wash. I thought that was the question posted in the title, I don't know about all this other extraneous stuff since I use liquid chemicals.

PEI

Reaction score
I've been using CSI's DrumPack for about three years. I found that with the dirts that I have to clean it worked as well as their Advantage with Performix at most temperatures. It is more sensitive to outside temperature than Performix. In the last year we have begun adding Boost (a suffactant from CSI) to our drums. The boost has dramatically improved cleaning, eliminating any films that might form on the glass and when the onboard heater is set low enough it works well on the oil film that tends to form on the front of vehicles.

DrumPacks come in a box with two bags of powder, just mix both bags with RO water to make a 55 gallon drum. If you choose to use the Boost, then cut the water back and add 2-1/2 gallons of Boost to a drum.

soapyjim

Reaction score
The Janitor is right again. It is all about the clean car. Once you have achieved that, then a simple volumetric will tell you cost per car. Just take some of your detergent and put it in a graduated cylinder--note the volume and put your foot valve in the cylinder.
Run a car in the automatic and then remove the foot valve and see how many ounces you have used. You know the cost of your drum so it is easy to figure how much an ounce costs.
Some machines use 2-3 times as much chemical as others just by their design.
Making purchasing decisions on chemical based on price per 5 gallon or 40 pound box is not the best way. It is the price per car or per minute that cleans that counts.
The most expensive soap is the one that doesn't clean.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Regardless of all of these other factors, powder, liquid, brand of automatic etc, each operator should still very easily be able to determine the cost per car for whatever product they are using. Volume of product used equals cost of product--true no one can determine how good the product is, but they can either like or dislike their results and know the cost.