What's new

Check your discover merchant statement for this rip off!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Well, I feel like a real sucker. I'm not terribly tenacious when it comes to my book keeping. I don't look over my Discover merchant statements very often at all. On a whim today I opened one up and saw a charge for 29.95 for "Legal Club Monthly". Looking back on my discover charges it has obviously been on there for a while, possibly several years. I have no recollection of agreeing to any sort of optional service. I felt pretty stupid when I realized that I had been charged hundreds, or even thousands of dollars by this "service" without even realizing it. A google of legal club monthly turns up conversations of unknowing merchants being charged for this service even though no one at their company authorized it. I'm surprised that discover would partner with a company that would do something like this. I'm gonna get to the bottom of it this week.

Obviously the ultimate blame lies with me for being a lazy book keeper. But many of us have other irons in the fire, and for me reconciling credit card statements is not very high on my priority list. But this just goes to show the price you can pay by being complacent.......

Anyway, just giving all a head's up- check your Discover statement!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I had the same issue with Discover only it was for $9.00 and it was called Reservation Rewards. Found out it was something my wife unknowingly agreed to when she bought something on line. Was on my card for several years.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I thought I would clarify this was my merchant statement, not a credit card statement. I look over my CC statements pretty thoroughly. Discover is drafting it out of my bank account under their name along with their processing fees/commissions

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Called this AM. Well they did indeed talk to meon the phone two years ago. They played a recording of a heavily accented company rep having a discussion with me. They sounded like they were calling on behalf of Discover to veriify my contact info. No where in ther did I hear them say that I was being signed up for a service, only that merchant protection was offered for a free trial period. I think I was distracted working on something when they called , I could hear pumps in the background. Anyway, I was careless, but I still felt duped. They offered to cancel the service and refund me 29.95, then 59.95 to settle. I said "nope" They got a supervisor on the line who essentially offered me half the money back they had taken. I refused, ended the call and called Discover merchant services. Discover took care of it, I am supposed to get a refund of all the money they have billed, almost $700.00

Ok, that was my lesson learned this week.........

So for those of you that take Discover at your car washes, watch your merchant statements....

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I take Discover and they call me nearly every month. Here is the script of the conversation I have with them each time.

Caller: "Is this the correct mailing address? We're sending you some information."
Me: "Is this Discover?"
Caller: "Yes."
Me: "Is this a free trial program where after a certain amount of time if I don't cancel you'll start charging me?"
Caller: "Yes."
Me: "I'm not interested and please quit offering this to me."

Last time I called I told them if they continue this practice I would quit taking Discover cards at my washes. Haven't heard from them in 6 weeks now.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Found charges on our stements. Having them reversed. Thanks guys.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Actualy had the charge at 2 places. They played the recording of our guy answering the phone and supposedly OKing it. It was BS. There's tons of stuff on the net about this. There must be plenty who are paying without knowing. Discover should cut them off.

Had a similar issue with "Moving Targets" sending us stuff saying my guy OK's it. They didn't even have a close spelling of his name. Thought I might try it anyway but noticed that some addresses were so far they had at least 6 washes closer than mine.
The salesman tried to convince me my guy ordered it and asked correct spelling of name, I wouldn't give it for fear they would correct their error to strengthen their claim. Got a hold of a supervisor to advise them they had some shady dealings going on. The cancelled the attempts to collect.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a $10 charge for a "paper statement fee". I took $62 in Discover cards last month and they charged me $10 for a statement. I think I may just quit taking the card if I can.

MEP001

Reaction score
Jimmy Buffett said:
I took $62 in Discover cards last month and they charged me $10 for a statement.
You can save that $10 by eliminating the paper statement. You can still view the data online if you need it. I've done the same thing with all my regular bills - most e-mail me a .pdf version which I save and can print if I need to.

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
I quit taking Discover about a year ago for some of the reasons discussed here, and as far as I can tell, have not missed a single wash purchased. Anyone who carries Discover, also has MC or Visa. I got real tired of Discover calling me all the time wanting to sell me services that would help my business. Discover was only 4% of my transactions anyway.