What's new

Changing tip sizes?

Eric H

Reaction score
Last week I went thru my notes from the ICA show. On one page I had a note from the SS early bird session that said "change to 2505 tip" without any other expaination. I purchased one 2505 tip to try out and can a slight pressure difference between it and the 2507 tip I was using before.
Are my customers going to notice a difference in cleaning ability? The savings of approx 1/3 soap/water/gas appeal to me but not at the expense of quality!
Should I go ahead and do it and reap the savings or hold strong for quality?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
What size tip are you replacing? You may need to adjust your chemical dilution to get the same cleaning strength.

Eric H

Reaction score
Currently using a 2507.

Changing will bring usage from 3.8 GPM to 2.8 GPM at 1200 PSI.

Would this change really affect chemical strenght. IMO, most SS customers are applying too much presoak and tire cleaner anyway. If they are buying the same amount of time and using less/proper amount of chemical isn't that a win for me? I'm all for giving the customer plenty of soap for HP and FB (for a good show) but I see a lot of waste with the TC and PS.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You say you will be cutting down 1 gpm with the switch. Since you are cutting volume you are cutting down the amount of chemical applied. Depending on how you were originally set up you may need to increase the dilution ratio to achieve the same results you had been getting. You may want to look at the information at http://www.spray.com/ to verify the usage and psi you will be generating.

phred113

Reaction score
The chemical usage will depend on the type of chemical system on the equipment. If it is a Hydrominder type, then there is nothing to do, but enjoy the lower chemical usage.

If you are going to make this change permanently, then change the motor or pump pulleys and save the wear on the pump.

In terms of value for your customer, I see nothing wrong with lower the output provided the customer receives what they paid for - a clean car.

Randy

Reaction score
We’ve kicked this ball around the field a couple of times. We use a 1505 tip/nozzle. It gives the customer the feeling/impression that they are getting a lot more pressure than they actually are. It also makes it easier to wash out the bay. I hooked up a car wash with them last week, they love the kick when you pull the trigger. We’ve been using the 1505 for almost 20 years, no one has ever complained about them being too narrow.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Size on the small size to allow for fewer replacements of nozzles?

Last week I went thru my notes from the ICA show. On one page I had a note from the SS early bird session that said "change to 2505 tip" without any other expaination. I purchased one 2505 tip to try out and can a slight pressure difference between it and the 2507 tip I was using before.
Are my customers going to notice a difference in cleaning ability? The savings of approx 1/3 soap/water/gas appeal to me but not at the expense of quality!
Should I go ahead and do it and reap the savings or hold strong for quality?
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if after the nozzle gets slightly worn & the customer doesn't notice it ----- if it doesn't start gradually using almost the same water volume & soap as your 2507???

MJ

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
Just out of curiosity, I wonder if after the nozzle gets slightly worn & the customer doesn't notice it ----- if it doesn't start gradually using almost the same water volume & soap as your 2507???
It will eventually. I change the tips every three months, which is about how long it takes for the 2506 to increase to the same flow as a 2507.