What's new

changing ballast

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'm looking at a ballast for my wallpack lights. I have never changed 1 of these before and there are a whole lot of wires and none of them are color coded like I'm used to on the flourescents. Many of you may know that I am electrically challanged! Why so many wires and what do I need to be careful of changing this thing?
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably a multi-tap ballast with a lot of extra wires for input voltages. They're labeled rather than color-coded, and replacing it is pretty straightforward. You can clean it up a bit by trimming short all the extra voltage wires you won't use and capping them with wire nuts.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
It does appear to be the same, except the 480V tap and an extra $4 for the second one.

vinh

Reaction score
since we talking about ballast. I about to replace a ballast kit and wondering if there is a difference in dry capacitor or oil-filled capacitor. I have a new kit with a dry capacitor for 320W metal halide PS but the original is oil-filled capicator (21 mfd). Anyone know the plus or minus of the dry capacitor and if it really matters in this situation.

MEP001

Reaction score
I ordered replacement capacitors for Scottsdales through 1000bulbs.com, and they were oil-filled (The original ones were dry). I'm hoping the oil-filled will last longer, since after about 18 months the light output gets very weak and a new bulb alone won't make them bright again. I've only had them in a few months, so as far as longevity is concerned I'll need more time. They do work the same, though.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I replaced the bulb the ballast and the capacitor (I guess that is what that was). The light did finally come on but is still dim. Is there something that I might have done wrong to make this light "sort of" work? It's the light by my changer and vending so it's the most important light in the place.
On a lighter note we have had an absolutley beautiful weekend for the first time in a LONGGGGG time and have been washing cars as fast as we can all weekend!

MEP001

Reaction score
Either you had a bad component or something was the wrong type. The bulbs and ballasts must be the exact same type and wattage.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I ordered replacement capacitors for Scottsdales through 1000bulbs.com, and they were oil-filled (The original ones were dry). I'm hoping the oil-filled will last longer, since after about 18 months the light output gets very weak and a new bulb alone won't make them bright again. I've only had them in a few months, so as far as longevity is concerned I'll need more time. They do work the same, though.
What was the part # from 1000bulbs.com?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's a Magnetek, there are two numbers on it, 058-52-23223 and 005-1419-MF