What's new

Ceramic Protectants are causing issues now

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Some of my customers have been saying my soap isn't working correctly in my IBA's, so naturally, I test everything to find all is well and in the correct Ph range and no problems, it turns out these customers have been constantly getting the "Ceramic Treatment" from Mister Car Wash with their monthly memberships which makes your vehicle surface so hydrophobic nothing sticks to it and in turn makes the customer think your chemicals at your car wash aren't working.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well if nothing will stick to the paint shouldn't that include the dirt? I don't have any experience with the ceramic coatings, but my friend has ceramic coat in all his inbay automatics and hasn't noticed a problem there.

OurTown

Reaction score
Some of my customers have been saying my soap isn't working correctly in my IBA's, so naturally, I test everything to find all is well and in the correct Ph range and no problems, it turns out these customers have been constantly getting the "Ceramic Treatment" from Mister Car Wash with their monthly memberships which makes your vehicle surface so hydrophobic nothing sticks to it and in turn makes the customer think your chemicals at your car wash aren't working.

Are they saying the soap doesn't look like it used to or are the saying their cars are not getting clean?

OurTown

Reaction score
Also are you saying these are customers that are dropping their Mister Car Wash memberships and now going to your wash?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Some of my customers are complaining that they are finding scratches on their vehicles using Mister Car Wash so Touchfree is hopefully making a comeback, I wouldn't go so far as to say they are dropping their memberships to come to my wash (but I hope so) but to offer the touch-free option does help in that regard. I think the issue with the soap is that it beads up so good that it gives the impression nothing is going onto the vehicle in the customer's eyes. I spoke with one of the customers about the issue and he said he washes at Mister 3-4 times a WEEK!!! cmon I own my wash and I don't even wash that much unless it's for testing reasons.

MEP001

Reaction score
I spoke with one of the customers about the issue and he said he washes at Mister 3-4 times a WEEK!!! cmon I own my wash and I don't even wash that much unless it's for testing reasons.
I wash mine maybe one a year now, where I used to do it twice a week working for others.

Zal

Reaction score
I do sell ceramic in 2 IBA's Good ROI and happy customers. I get mainly black or dark color vehicles as regulars. I never miss a chance to let them try it for free. 90% return for more with most doing every other week. Crank up air on presoak and it will hold better.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to start fiddling with your process because a couple nutty customers who wash multiple times say your soap doesn't work. Sounds like a small issue that you can ignore.

soapy

Reaction score
I see the same problem with RainX after a few applications. Strange to see soap beading up on cars but it will if you have ceramic coated your car by hand. The spray on ceramics IMO are about the same as the rainX. It is critical that you get the car clean before sealing with Rain X or ceramic otherwise it makes the car harder to clean the next time.. If you get them on a clena car it makes them easier to clean the next time.

washnshine

Reaction score
I use Total Shield Extreme by Quest which is an incredibly durable ceramic sealant. Even after a few weeks, soap beads up and does not spread like it does when the surface doesn’t have a coating. Dirt and film still sticks - for sure , but it washes off much easier. No- a rain storm or water only rinse will not clean film and soil.

I have never had a customer complain- they like that their car is clean shiny and slick and I think it shows them that the ceramic sealer is worth their money.

Quest posted this showing how their TSE repels detergents:

Reactions: Zal

Zal

Reaction score
I have quite a few 2-3 times a week customers. So keeping them happy by adding a bit more of no cost air is just good customer service. Something that gets ignored way too often. Can’t complain about the Ceramic since my average ticket it up by $2.50. Car count Year over year is up as well