What's new

CCTV camera degradation over time?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Do CCTV cameras degrade over time?

I have some units that are about 3 years old. Almost all are in protective housings and I carefully keep the lenses cleaned and they are not scratched.

I just replaced one camera that failed, and ..... wow .... the image is drastically better than the older cameras. As I compare them, the newer camera provides vibrant color, day or night, and the older cameras are not as sharp with pale, washed out colors at best. All are day/night cameras.

The new camera does have 520 lines compared to 480 for the older ones, but I don't think that's the difference. To me, all of the older (original) cameras now have a washed out video with degraded quality.

???

MEP001

Reaction score
I've noticed with a few newer cameras I've installed that the color quality is much better. Some of it may be advancement in their design and manufacture, but it could also be degradation. Too much direct or reflected sunlight can damage the sensors.

Red Baron

Reaction score
The lenses on the housings can only be cleaned so many times before they haze. You don't really notice it until you replace the lense and see how much clearer the picture is.

Mine are the Videolarm housings and replacing the lense is easy, quick and cheap. I bought a sheet of plexiglass from Home Depot, cut it into 3" x 3" squares with a skill saw with a fine tooth blade turned backwards. Open the housing lid, unscrew the 4 screws in the faceplate and remove the faceplate being careful that the lid doesn't fall off as the faceplate is the seat for a hinge-pin on the lid. Set the faceplate down on a flat surface and tap the old lense with a screwdriver and it will pop right out. Hot glue the new lense in. 15 minute job.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Red Baron,

I wish I had as easy a fix for the two cameras in my IBA's. They are Everfocus EZ350's. The protective cover lense hazed over no matter how much I cleaned it. After the first year I bought replacement housings from CCTV and that fixed the problem. Earlier this year I called and they dont carry that line of cameras anymore, and I have been unsucsessful in finding anyone else in the country that does. I've spoken with dealers in NY and Calif and neither of them wanted to help me, since I didnt buy the camera from them originally.
So now I need to buy new cameras to replace ones that are less than 3 years old and functioning properly?? Imagine my dismay......

ScottV

bighead

Reaction score
every now and again I hit the lense covers with Klean Wall and rinse it off, good as new...

well, minus the acid wear :)

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
Some times you may have a weak 24 or 12 volt transformer. Try to use a single transformer on one of the weak signal cameras. This happined to me and it was the transformer.