What's new

CC only Vending?

Zoomwash

Reaction score
My name is William Macdonell, and I'm the CEO of Wiz-Tec Computing Technologies Inc. I've attached a pic for you so you can see what the technologies look like. We use Moneris in Canada for the processing, and First Data in the US.

The really nice advantage of EMV chip and pin credit/debit processing is that it is totally PCI compliant. You can kick those leaches to the curb with EMV because it's already 100% PCI compliant. Chip and Pin uses it's own dedicated CAT5, and the transaction is processed directly from the unit to the bank, as opposed to going to a central device and then sending to the bank.

If you ever want more info, feel free to ask. I'm not here to beat you over the head about our product line. I look at situations strictly from a through-put, customer satisfaction, and ROI perspective.

Attachments

OurTown

Reaction score
So what is it going to cost for six vacs, three bays and a vending machine?

Zoomwash

Reaction score
I will be bringing Wiz-Tec to the US next year, opening our first office in Denver. We do have supply arrangements now in the US, but I'm still building our client base in Canada so I'm not in a panic to get south just yet. That said, don't be afraid to start cycling out cash, the reality is that you will anyway over the next decade.

Yes, I did say get rid of cash didn't I... Consider it caveated. If you have a cash based system now, you need to start moving away from it.

In the states you can do it gradually, but be diligent about who you buy from, and what you buy. If the credit/debit processor is based in Eastern Europe for example, you might want to reconsider their product even when it's cheaper, because you have no recoures in disputes. The fine print on the contract is important. Are you the Merchant of record, does the system do "pre-auth" complete, or is it "sale and return"? Can you grow the system? Will it allow you to evolve your marketing efforts etc.... Read the fine print, know the company you are purchasing from, and admit to yourself that you might need advise because until now you've had to use analog devices designed 30 to 50 years ago, and the digital age requires a different support approach and knowledge base.

Zoomwash

Reaction score
It would run you around $35K US to kit out that senario. What are you selling in the vending machine?

Etowah

OurTown

Reaction score
It would run you around $35K US to kit out that senario. What are you selling in the vending machine?
Typical car care products but we were thinking of getting a pop machine. At that price it's cost prohibitive to put those on vending machines.

Zoomwash

Reaction score
Yeah that wouldn't include the pop machine. I'm not one to trash others, so I won't point out that you can install a Nyax device in a vending machine for under $2K. It's great for pop and candy vending machines. In fact they were designed for exactly that. They are crap for carwash bays though. Very entry level, not really designed to take the punishment a 1600 PSI hose puts out, and you aren't the merchant of record so when a client goes to their phone to check the expenditure, they see Nyax, not you. Confuses the hell out of them.

So far we've found that the Tap Debit/Credit in bay pays for itself in about 18 months. As a business man I'm all about return on dollars being under 2 years. I'll accept 3 years if I have to, but no more than two is the general rule. We did a 4 bay wand wash with an automatic, and he's almost doubled his through-put. Went from an average coin wash of $4.00 to an average of $8,74 on count up tap. Takes 4 seconds to arm the wash and ended up giving him the equivilent of 4 full weekends of extra through-put per month. It's becoming a common theme.

Truthfully, I'm 55 so seeing a 25 year old pull up into a bay, get out of her car, and flash her watch in front of the device is somewhat novel for me to.

OurTown

Reaction score
Cryptopay told me they are working on a contactless payment device but don't get too excited because they do dot have a roll out date yet.

MEP001

Reaction score
I maintain that my customers would not make a credit card system worth installing. I know an operator who bought a wash three years ago and installed Cryptopay in all his bays. He's marketed it and has had his full-time attendant explain to many customers how it works. After more than two years taking cards, he's running barely over 5% cards vs cash. Everything is bilingual. My wash has the same demographic. It would take me at least five years at the other operator's rate to break even on a Cryptopay system, pretty much the cheapest one out there. Yes, that is really my reality. I was one of the first in the area at a different wash to have CC acceptance, and it was a huge success there, so I'm more than open-minded to the idea. I'm just smart enough to not listen to a pushy salesman.