What's new

Cat Pump sheared off

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
My bay 3 CAT pump, a 340 direct drive model, has sheared off completely from the motor. It is hanging in place by the plumbing. I'm going to the wash this morning to take it apart.

This happened once before and I recall that I needed to buy a special flange between the motor and the pump as part of the repair. I was told at the time that this was the last one in existence or available. I think this was from CAT. If I need to again replace the flange I might not be able to get one.

Any suggestions on sources for parts or how to approach this?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Results

I removed the pump and flange, and found that .... this time .... the flange appears undamaged and re-usable. (Last time this happened the holes were rounded out and it could not be re-used.) I successfully got the broken off bolts out of the thread holes and scrounged up some high strength bolts to replace them.

I haven't put one of these back together before, but it looks pretty basic. I assume I grease the bearing which is visible around the shaft, insert a new o-ring onto the pump, and bolt it back onto the motor.

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you have room on the pump stand to change over to belt drive?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Platform

I think my platform is in use elsewhere with pulley drives. Is there an advantage to them, other than avoiding having them shear off? :)

MEP001

Reaction score
Belt drive pumps run slower and are less noisy, the motors without the C-face are cheaper, and I can always tell when a belt is about to break so I can change it before it does. I've been switching them to the "poly cog" belts from Grainger and haven't had those break.