What's new

Cat Oil in Cat Pump?

dogwasher

Reaction score
Any pointers on what oil to use for my Cat pumps?
$55 for a 2.5 gallon jug of Cat oil, can I use other brands?
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
You can use plain non-detergent oil in them, but you should stick with the Cat oil for a number of reasons.

I started using a 3:1 mix of non-detergent oil and transmission fluid in General pumps after I'd repair them of whatever problem happened to be getting water into the crankcase. The transmission fluid would absorb the water and flush the crankcase clean, while the oil would maintain lubrication. After a number of times of going back to the same site and finding that the customer had not changed the oil again in a week as I had recommended, and the pump running perfectly smooth even years later, I started using it in all Generals. It might be an effective and more affordable option in your Cats.

Doug P.

Reaction score
Someone posted about this a day or two ago. They explained that the Cat pump oil would mix with any water that entered the crankcase and keep lubricating everything that needed lubricating. They said regular oil would not mix with the water as easily and you may have water in contact with the bearings & parts instead of oil. I don't know if they were correct but it made sense.

Doug P.

phred113

Reaction score
The information came from Tom at Mark VII. There are also similar oils that are not Cat. Synthetics work well if they have the same water excluding quality. When water and oil emulsify (milky oil anyone?) then you have trouble. Under continuous use the water would eventually cook out of the oil if it does not combine. Save yourself time and use the Cat oil, then research an alternative.