What's new

CAT 310 Pulsation/Hammering Start Up

JAM

Reaction score
Hello- looking for a little help on this one as I can’t seem to pin point the issue. Short of replacing the entire pump.

I have been trying to figure out what’s going on with one of my bays pulsation/hammering on start up. When starting the HP rinse the system will pulsate badly for 30-45 seconds and then come out of it and start running smooth. This only happens in this 1 bay.

The issue coincidently started when my weepmizer started running continually during cold temps. The longer it weeps and sits without running the worse it gets. When I stop the weep it seems to be fine on start up.

I am running a CAT 310 Pump- gravity fed hot water line. I have rebuilt the pump, installed new valves, installed a new pressure regulator, checked water flow, replaced the hot water line check valve, checked for leaks, I have cleaned the water tank filter, etc. I even tried putting a check valve behind the weep line Dema valve thinking maybe water was getting away.

Nothing seems to cure it. Any other ideas? What am I missing? I have attached a video on start up.

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Is your weep water going though the pump? If it is try connecting it to the high pressure line with a high pressure check valve and get rid of that galvanized nipple, galvanized fittings and pipe have no place on car wash equipment.

JAM

Reaction score
The weep is going into the inlet of the pump. All 3 of my pumps are set up like this one. Only this one is giving me issues for some reason.

I was running a husky 307 air diaphragm pump recycling weep up until this year with no issues.

Any reasons for someone plumbing the weep into the inlet side of the pump?

mucoucah

Reaction score
Did you ever figure it out?
I had similar problem.
Turns out there were a handful of things: unloader discharge was going back to tank, which increased the suction flow a lot and made the pump cavitate. The suction hose would have been ok for the normal flow, but the extra from from unloader was too much.
I piped the return to the suction. But then the T was too close and the hose had no give (braided). I replaced with a flex hose, added some piping to the unloader return was about 1ft away from suction, and added a pulsation dampner (it never had one before).
This made a huge difference.

These cat 310 run rougher than the 5cp. My previous 310 killed itself so i made all these changes until it calmed down a bit.

JAM

Reaction score
Did you ever figure it out?
I had similar problem.
Turns out there were a handful of things: unloader discharge was going back to tank, which increased the suction flow a lot and made the pump cavitate. The suction hose would have been ok for the normal flow, but the extra from from unloader was too much.
I piped the return to the suction. But then the T was too close and the hose had no give (braided). I replaced with a flex hose, added some piping to the unloader return was about 1ft away from suction, and added a pulsation dampner (it never had one before).
This made a huge difference.

These cat 310 run rougher than the 5cp. My previous 310 killed itself so i made all these changes until it calmed down a bit.

I ended up having too much weep water flow pressure. I adjusted using the needle valve to reduce the amount of water.