What's new

Cat 310 Dissassembly

Wayne J

Reaction score
How do I remove the crankshaft and bearings from a cat 310. I thought that before I started beating on things I would get some good advice from the helpful folks on this forum. I know most people don't repair these pumps but I have one that works ok but has a noisy bearing. I have an old carcass that has good bearings. Business ain't great right now so I'm trying to cut a few corners.

Thanks,
Wayne

MEP001

Reaction score
Take it to a machine shop and have them use a puller to remove the bearings and press the ones you want to keep onto one shaft. You can remove them by using a soft piece of metal as a drift and hammer it off the shaft, but it's easy to damage the good bearing.

Wayne J

Reaction score
Do I remove the bearings and crankshaft from the case as an assembly and then press the bearings off the shaft?

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes. You can't get the bearings off the crankshaft while it's in the case.

Either mark the connecting rod end pieces or find someplace clean to store them where they'll stay in the same positions they came from. If you mix them up, the pump is very likely to fail soon after it's put back into service.

mac

Reaction score
Make sure you go to Cat's web site and get the specs to reassemble it. The hardware that holds the crankshaft to the connecting rods needs to be torqued just right with a torque wrench.

Wayne J

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful tips so far. I finally got to look the "short block" over this evening. It appears that the crank/bearing assembly will need to be pressed out of the case in order to change the bearings from one crank to the other. Is this correct? If not, how do I remove the parts from the case?
Thanks,
Wayne

soapy

Reaction score
At the WCA show this week they had a CAT pump tech. show everyone who attended his session how to dismantle a 310 and everything to look for. He was also passing out free training DVDs on the 310. If you contact CAT I am sure they would send you a DVD.