What's new

Cat 310/340 crankcase seals

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
No. Not the seals in the manifold head. The cranckcase seals go into the crankcase behind the the ceramic plungers.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
No. Not the seals in the manifold head. The cranckcase seals go into the crankcase behind the the ceramic plungers.
Google "change seals cat 310 pump" there are several you tube videos that show how

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
The only videos I've run across deal with the seals in the manifold head. These are the most commonly replaced seals.

I'm referring to the seals that set into the crankcase. These seals require removal of the ceramic plungers to get to them. They are not in the wet end of the pump.

If you can post a you tube link which shows the crankcase seals I would appreciate it.

Eric H

Reaction score
start by draining the oil. Pull the head and plungers off. drive a long thin screw into the seal and pull it out using vise grips. just be careful not to drive the screw into the piston or you will score it and the seal will always leak. lube up the new seal and press it in, I usually use an appropriately sizes deep socket to seat the seal.
OR you can pull the pump off of the pump stand, remove the head and plungers, remove the rear cover and pull the crank and connecting rods and push the seal out from the inside. install new seal. look at all the parts that you know you can never get back in properly, give up and hit the local bar

MEP001

Reaction score
Eric's method works - I prefer to use a screwdriver (An old one that's worn and doesn't have sharp edges) and with the piston all the way in I pry the seal out against the end of the piston. You will probably have to turn the pulley for the piston to pull the seal. As Eric said, you must take care not to mar up the piston or you'll have to replace it.

I use a piece of PVC pipe to drive the new seal in (IIRC it's 1 1/4").