What's new

Car Listing/Sales as an add-on service?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do any detail shop guys offer consignment sales an automobiles you detail? In other words, the customer who buys the detail leaves the car on the lot after the service for a pre-determined time frame (1 month or more?) in an attempt to advertise the car is for sale while it is spiffy and clean.

A car could be listed on the internet, dsiplayed at the carwash for sale, test drives arranged or simply handed off to the owner of the vehicle.

Have you had any success with this idea?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I tried something like that, but my township has ordinances against that type of thing so they put the kabosh on it pretty quick. If you can do it, I say why not...be wary of insurance though and who is liable if anything were to happen to the vehicle.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Waxman,

I have a regular retail used car sales lot at my detail location, so for me I have all the proper licenses, zoning, etc.

As far as trying to sell someone else’s car as a consignment, you should look into the local ordinances first.

Second, selling or "trying" to help someone sell a car that you do not own as a private individual would be considered curb stoning in the auto industry. Depending on what state and city you are located in, you may or may not be able to even sell a vehicle that you own at your commercial location. Most local towns, boroughs, and townships look the other way. If it is your own personal vehicle so what. Most used car dealers, however, do not look the other way if the vehicle is being displayed advertised, etc for sale at your location. It all depends on who really cares and who doesn't.

The reason curb stoning is illegal, are the vast amount of regulations there are in the auto industry, on the local, state, and especially the federal level. It is getting to the point used car and even new car dealerships are under a very powerful microscope with the collapse of the financial markets. Someone who does not have the proper licenses (there are many) to even have a dealership let alone sell a vehicle can do what they please to the general public when it comes to selling a vehicle. This alone has put a very dark cloud over the auto industry for years. Most people do not like having to deal with auto sales, even if they have to when they need a new car or truck.

Mike

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Curb Stoned?

Well, let me see. Here are a few tidbits to chew on;

1. There is this one dealer in my area. He has a small used car lot. He has had the same junky, rusty pickup for a year plus as his ONLY car on his 'lot'.

2. There are several others who sell junk; nothing but salvage title wrecks. You wouldn't want your relative or friend owning what they sell.

What my carwash customers detail to sell are decent cars, not wrecks. So maybe the new car dealers may mind seeing an occasional car for sale at a carwash, but there's only one of those (new car dealer) here in my area.

I understand your point and legalities involved.

But when the guy at the carwash mops the street with the so called 'dealers', maybe it's because the 'dealers' stink and have become complacent, lazy, bored, disillusioned, etc.

I doubt they will notice a car for sale that belongs to a customer when they can't even be bothered to get a second car for their 'car lot'.

soapy

Reaction score
I try not to let them sell on my lots because as soon as I let one person park on the lot more show up daily. I have had as many as 3 show up overnight without permission to park on the lot and sell their cars. Eventually it would leave me no room to park. Most business insurance carriers would not allow this since we keep garage keepers insurance and anything on the property is technically under our care.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Well, let me see. Here are a few tidbits to chew on;

1. There is this one dealer in my area. He has a small used car lot. He has had the same junky, rusty pickup for a year plus as his ONLY car on his 'lot'.

2. There are several others who sell junk; nothing but salvage title wrecks. You wouldn't want your relative or friend owning what they sell.

What my carwash customers detail to sell are decent cars, not wrecks. So maybe the new car dealers may mind seeing an occasional car for sale at a carwash, but there's only one of those (new car dealer) here in my area.

I understand your point and legalities involved.

But when the guy at the carwash mops the street with the so called 'dealers', maybe it's because the 'dealers' stink and have become complacent, lazy, bored, disillusioned, etc.

I doubt they will notice a car for sale that belongs to a customer when they can't even be bothered to get a second car for their 'car lot'.
I can only assume you want to do this to either make money off the sale of the car (referral fee etc.), or "once" the word got out, bring your car to your detail shop for a detail and we will display it for sale (more detail business).

You can do whatever you think is right. I am only responding to your original question about can I have a customer's car advertised for sale as a consignment on my commercial property...... what are the pitfalls if any.

I don't sell "junk" on my car lot, so I cannot compare what you have in your area as far as used car dealers go.

Best of luck.