What's new

Can you wire a garage door opener to door?

wood

Reaction score
I have typical overhead garage doors at my tunnel. They are Liftmaster commercial type doors. The operator has a open, closed, and stop button. The buttons are contained in a wall mount control station.

I was wondering if you can buy a remote control opener like at one's home and wire it somehow to use with my doors.

Comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Wood

MEP001

Reaction score
No, because the home type have only one contact. You could use it to either open or close the door, but not both. There are some that can control a light in addition to the door, but unless it outputs the same momentary contact for the light it won't work as an output.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I have a gate opener I made from a garage door opener and brought remote openers from Home depot and programmed per instructions and they work fine.I believe you should be able to do the same.

MEP001

Reaction score
Gate and garage openers use a single input to start, stop and reverse the door. Commercial door openers such as Liftmaster have separate open, close and stop inputs. A standard garage door opener can't work.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Do you need all three functions? If you are inside you would have access to the buttons. If you are outside you should only need an "open" function. If your situation is different, just pretend like I didn't say anything :).

wood

Reaction score
So, if you are stating I can only use one remote contact to do one function, could I not get two sets? I would then wire one opener to open button, and one opener to the close button. Therefore, one remote would be labeled open and the other labeled close.

Wood

MEP001

Reaction score
There are remotes that can operate three or four devices - you'd need three individual receiver units and a three or four button remote that you can program so each button sends a signal to each receiver. That would get you all three controls, and probably under $100.