What's new

Can you compete against a $3.00 express wash?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Can you compete against a $3.00 express wash?

The short answer is yes it is possible. However, you must be willing to do what it takes to do so.

The why is because your future survival may likely depend on it.

Today, there are very few self-service facilities being built. Self-service equipment spending has dropped from 25 percent of the total market to 4 percent.

Most in-bay equipment sales are new installs at gas/c-store locations or reloads of existing gas/c-store and self-service locations. Most new builds are exterior express or flexible service conveyors.

Today, the carwash industry is consolidating.

Larger manufacturers are adding products/services to become vertically integrated and more dominant (i.e. Sonny’s). Some companies are gobbling up dealer network to go direct (i.e. Ryko). Other OEM’s are folding their tent (i.e. A-OK). Some carwash chains continue to get larger (i.e. Auto Bell). Low priced express washes and more capable flexible service conveyors continue to herd consumers towards forms of car washing that offer convenience, image and value.

If you survey in-bay users and find very few of your customers are 30 years old and younger and 50 years old and older, you are losing business.

If the in-bay is not capable of producing hand-finished qualities and clean, shine and protect, you are losing business.

If the in-bay and self-service wash doesn’t have internet-like capabilities, you will continue to lose ground to the competition.

If the in-bay has long waiting lines on busy days, you are a sitting duck for an express wash.

If you can’t figure out what to do to lift your “store” to a higher level, get help.

If you wait for things to get better, you might not be around to see it happen.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
In the long run, I don't think you can compete against one of these that is run right! The process time alone is impossible to compete with! Sell before it gets too out of control was my game plan. Only time will tell but, the atlanta area is a good example of learning from history. Everything runs its course and unfortunetly markets that can support a 3 dollar express are not ones I would want to be in with a IBA!

txheat

Reaction score
depends on other factors like location and customer base income and preference.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is very little that can be done for an automatic to compete with an EE. As long as the EE offers a low cost wash with free vacs it will win every time. It will get and handle more volume and with decent management and opertional skills it will outperform almost all automatics.

The only hope an automatic has would be its ability to create enough revenue to stay in business until the EE gets tired of making no money for all that risk and effort and raises the price. Here in Atlanta the EE's are beginning to raise prices but unfortunately many of the automatics around them have folded the tent.

Gabriel

Reaction score
The Expresses that are run by absentee investors that know nothing and guys that were over sold and end up heavy debt and poor management are easy to compete with. The trick may be to put one in yourself, with good finance, reliable figures and good management. A lot of them are going broke in poor locations. Most do not stay with $3 washes very long as that is not sustainable.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
How about offering a "Happy Hour" special.
Offer you cheapest price wash for 1/2 off but maybe leave your other packages the same or a $1.00 off.
Post a sign offering the special from 3:00 pm to midnight.
Or you might want to try it in the morning.