What's new

Cameras in Change Machines...

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
We have Hamilton changers and all of them have video cameras (miniatures). We drilled a hole in the steel (18/32 drill bit) in the metal which will hold the camera. Before drilling we removed the plastic, made sure the camera fit snug. Mounted the plastic back on and then drilled a 1/8" hole centered. It is mounted just above the transport. Some of them are set up with wireless because of their location. Others (rear loads in the machinery room) we wired in through one of the knock-outs in the changer or drilled a hole to get the wiring in.

Front load changers on the machinery room wall were drilled through the back of the changer and through the wall.

If we have vendors next to the changer we also put in a mini on the side of the vendor so we get both a front and side view.

They have worked fine. We can cut a cd from the dvr, give it to the police department and they must file it away for posterity because nothing ever happens. However we haven't had many problems as we have signage and the washes are pretty secure.

Andy

Reaction score
Has anyone installed cameras in their self-serve meter boxes?

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
We also have the mini's in 1 4-bay location. The bays next to the machinery room have them in the coin meter box and the outer bays we ran conduit out and put the mini's in them. They are limited to their peripheral view and are only pointed at the meter box.

Twodose

Reaction score
We have Hamilton changers and all of them have video cameras (miniatures). We drilled a hole in the steel (18/32 drill bit) in the metal which will hold the camera. Before drilling we removed the plastic, made sure the camera fit snug. Mounted the plastic back on and then drilled a 1/8" hole centered.
Did you use a mini board camera or an enclosed mini cam? Also what type of lens, micro, pinhole?

What do you use to hold the camera in place so it cant be pushed out?

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
They are pinhole cameras. The 19/32 drill bit was the proper size so that you could push it in firmly.

In the coin boxes we used the little mounting frame that comes with it and used 2-way tape to hold it in position. We only drilled a 3/16 hole for that camera because I didn't want that size (19/32) of hole in the face plate.

Twodose

Reaction score
So the pressure of the camera itself is the only thing holding it in place?

Did you use a mini board camera or an enclosed mini cam?

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
Just the size of the hole is what holds the cameras in the changers. They are the "mini pinhole cameras".

Resolution is good enough to pick out an individual in a line-up within the bay area as long as they are in view of the camera. The camera will give you a visual in front of the coin box to the wall across from the camera. We (the police or witness) have been able to identify anyone.

We had occasion to put out a $500. wanted reward poster with a front view and side view of a crook and within two days had his name, age, address etc. Gave it to the police. They kept saying they did not have enough info (even though they saw him doing the crime on the cd pulled from the dvr!) I finally threatened to go to the newspaper and they finally went to the D.A. and he put a $20,000 dollar warrant out for his arrest. In my discussions with them later I was told they went to the house a couple of times and couldn't find him. The detectives statement to me in one discussion was: "Maybe he has a job!" Duh! That was a year and a half ago.

So there you are. Cameras are good but they don't solve the problems! Being aware that cameras are there it helps reduce the crime. We cannot depend on them (our local police) to do anything.

Twodose

Reaction score

Kevin Reilly

self serve carwashes
Reaction score
I bought them from Super circuits and the one we use is the $109.00 camera or similar. And people don't see them because the hole is so small they think it's a bolt hole. Ours are drilled about where "Hamilton" is written above the transport.

Remember I drill the 19/32nd hole AFTER I have removed the lexan face plate off; then put it back on and center a 1/8 or 3/16 hole through the lexan. With all the chrome, pins signs I don't think they have any idea.

With calipers around the lense it probably shows 1/2 inch diameter and your drill has to be larger. We might have used a a 17/32nd drill for the hole or it could have been 9/16 drill. If you're going to do it try drilling a hole in a piece of steel scrap that's as thick as the changer and see if it fits snugly. Then drill your changer. Then put the lexan plate back on and drill a 1/8" hole in the lexan (make sure it's centered) plug in the camera and see what you see. If you don't see enough drill a 3/16th hole in the lexan and look at it again. I wouldn't go any larger than that.

A ll of the cameras in the changers that are facing the drive way can identify the make of vehicle coming into the carwash but not the license plate. If you're standing 10 or 15' in front of it that person can be identified.

The only thing I can tell you about Super Circuits is that you need to do your homework first and you tell them what you want, not the other way around because they don't have any idea what your problem is even after you have told them.