What's new

Camera direction?

daymus

Reaction score
What direction do you point your video cameras inside the bays? Is it best to point it towards your coin box and bay wand or should it be pointed towards the entrance of the bay to catch a licence plate? Or are there any other options?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Depends on your purpose of the camera. Are you trying to get their tags? Are you trying to see if they're breaking into your coin box? Are you trying to see what's going on in your bay.

I have cameras which view the entire bay so I can check what's going on and the cleanliness of it. I have other cameras zoomed into the entrance/exit, and others pointed at the coin boxes, vendors and changers. It can get real expensive real quick. However, they do save me some unnecessary trips to the wash some days.

daymus

Reaction score
I know what each camera direction will show me, I am trying to determine what is most beneficial to a car wash operator from other peoples experience. It is not cost effective to view everything that is going on in the bay, but I want to know what owners find is the most beneficial from experience. Is it most useful to get their plate and make of vehicle or is it more useful to view vandalism of the coin box, wand and brush?

MEP001

Reaction score
If I had a camera in a bay that could read tags, it could see little else. I used a separate tag camera and a wide-angle camera in the bay so I can see everything. That is what's most useful to me. I find it odd that you're installing cameras if you don't even know why.

washnvac

Reaction score
I have a 13 bay with 25 cameras. I still can not see everything. You have to decide what you want and/or need to see. If you have only a few cameras, then use wide angle lenses so you get a good overall picture of what is going on. If you have more cameras, you can pick and choose what areas you want detail in. More detail equals less viewing area.

daymus

Reaction score
If I had a camera in a bay that could read tags, it could see little else. I used a separate tag camera and a wide-angle camera in the bay so I can see everything. That is what's most useful to me. I find it odd that you're installing cameras if you don't even know why.
I know exactly why I am installing cameras, primarily as a deterrent but I also want to have the best use possible. I want to determine what would be of greatest benefit for my location and the particular incidents that happen at my wash. It may be different at other washes, I would just like to compare points and reasons that other owners have as to the way they installed them after all I think that is what discussion forums are for.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
I know exactly why I am installing cameras, primarily as a deterrent but I also want to have the best use possible. I want to determine what would be of greatest benefit for my location and the particular incidents that happen at my wash. It may be different at other washes, I would just like to compare points and reasons that other owners have as to the way they installed them after all I think that is what discussion forums are for.
I set my cameras up to see half of bay towards coinbox. and then set up a couple cameras at different locations to pickup tags. It is trial and error. I play cameras back at different times to see if they pickup most of what I'm looking for. Tag cameras have to be zoomed in so close that if you try to pickup entrance and exit lanes you will need 2 cameras.

MEP001

Reaction score
daymus said:
I want to determine what would be of greatest benefit for my location and the particular incidents that happen at my wash.
Then if you would be so kind as to answer the questions put forth to you by Jeff L instead of treating them like he's telling you something you already know, you may glean some help here.

If you expect to prosecute vandalism and break-ins, you'll need plate numbers and/or very clear shots of faces. Plates will do better in tracking them down.

daymus

Reaction score
Then if you would be so kind as to answer the questions put forth to you by Jeff L instead of treating them like he's telling you something you already know, you may glean some help here.

If you expect to prosecute vandalism and break-ins, you'll need plate numbers and/or very clear shots of faces. Plates will do better in tracking them down.
Jeff's post was very helpful, I think the questions where not looking for a direct response. Their purpose was to guide you in which direction to go. My response was that I feel they are primarily a deterrent, but there are different benefits depending on the camera direction.

I was just trying to determine or get a comparison of what other operators are doing.

Red Baron

Reaction score
My SS bay cameras point from opposite corner toward the coinbox. I can't get tags with them but have tag cameras that will get about 60% of the cars (wish it were more). I have 12 cameeras in my 3/1 and still can't get everything.

My IBA cameras gets hazy quickly after replacing the lens. Has anyone tried the housing with the wiper blade? If so, where's you get it?

Also, I'm finding that probably 30% of the time I can capture a tag with my standard 420 line camera that points toward my ACW even though it's at a 20 degree angle laterally. I'm going to move it straight ahead and that should improve a little bit.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Seeing entire or majority of the bay: Benefits are that you can check for cleanliness, obvious damage, improper use of the bay, etc.. Depending on whether you recognize the vehicle, can decipher the tag, or can read the business name on the vehicle will determine if you can go after them.

Zooming in on a coinbox, vending machine, change machine: Benefits are you can tell if it's out of service, broken into, see someone breaking in (if angle is correct). Probably couldn't go after the person unless you have another camera viewing the vehicle they are using and a tag camera.

Tag camera: Benefit is obvious, identify the vehicle tag. However, needs to be used in conjunction with other cameras to see the vandal at work, etc..

To me, the biggest benefit is to check the status of my wash.

daymus

Reaction score
Seeing entire or majority of the bay: Benefits are that you can check for cleanliness, obvious damage, improper use of the bay, etc.. Depending on whether you recognize the vehicle, can decipher the tag, or can read the business name on the vehicle will determine if you can go after them.

Zooming in on a coinbox, vending machine, change machine: Benefits are you can tell if it's out of service, broken into, see someone breaking in (if angle is correct). Probably couldn't go after the person unless you have another camera viewing the vehicle they are using and a tag camera.

Tag camera: Benefit is obvious, identify the vehicle tag. However, needs to be used in conjunction with other cameras to see the vandal at work, etc..

To me, the biggest benefit is to check the status of my wash.
Thanks Jeff, checking the status of your wash is probably the greatest use in the long run. Just having people know you have cameras would eliminate most vandalism.

JustClean

Reaction score
I don't know if this will help you but this is what I have:
1x PTZ camera mounted on a corner of the building for vac area and entrance to the 4 SS bays.
1x dome inside the glass vendor 2.8mm to give me a nice shot of their face ;)
1x IBA entry system
2x IBA 3.5mm
2x backside of the building when they come out of the IBA
4x SS 4mm
3x domes for waiting room, office, plantroom
1x high resolution number plate camera with separate IR flood light (most important and expensive camera)
1x 4mm for 2. vac area

As soon as we get the other IBA another 16 cameras will be installed. They paid for themselves within no time - mainly due to people in the IBA trying to fraud me.

Louise

Reaction score
I have 13 cameras on my 3/2 site. I have had MANY break-ins and I can get some great shots of these creeps. However, in my town, the police want to do very little unless there is a murder involved. So, you have to make it easy for them with a full tag.

I use wide angle cameras all over the wash to capture general activity and then better, more detailed cameras to get good facial shots. I have one very good tag cam pointed at the exit which will capture about 80% full tags. A partial tag rarely helps me as the police here don't want to take the time to run the possibilities with partial info.

I usually add a camera or move a camera after each break-in. You can never have enough. After 4.5 years I have found that the real benefit from my system is to keep an eye on the activity, to see if a customer is having a problem with equipment, to see if a changer is down and to see if my equipment room floor is flooded. That is where the real cost savings comes from.

I have had approx. 8 break-ins and have caught 3 criminals, but also have been able to spot damage (unintentional) and have been able to get the police involved to make the customer pay for it. That total of the reimbursed damage has been about $800 - hey, not much, but it is something.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I have 13 cameras on my 3/2 site. I have had MANY break-ins and I can get some great shots of these creeps. However, in my town, the police want to do very little unless there is a murder involved. So, you have to make it easy for them with a full tag.

I use wide angle cameras all over the wash to capture general activity and then better, more detailed cameras to get good facial shots. I have one very good tag cam pointed at the exit which will capture about 80% full tags. A partial tag rarely helps me as the police here don't want to take the time to run the possibilities with partial info.

I usually add a camera or move a camera after each break-in. You can never have enough. After 4.5 years I have found that the real benefit from my system is to keep an eye on the activity, to see if a customer is having a problem with equipment, to see if a changer is down and to see if my equipment room floor is flooded. That is where the real cost savings comes from.

I have had approx. 8 break-ins and have caught 3 criminals, but also have been able to spot damage (unintentional) and have been able to get the police involved to make the customer pay for it. That total of the reimbursed damage has been about $800 - hey, not much, but it is something.
I use my publicdata.com account to run the possible tags. A B sometimes looks like an 8, a 7 can look like an I, so I just start running all possibilities and know I have the right one when the right make/model and the owner is from a nearby town. I might have to try 10 different combinations to get the right one, but my account costs $29/mo regardless.